Problem running "Mellel": "EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Waldi, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Waldi macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

As a preamble, please excuse my English if I make too many mistakes, I am not a native speaker.

I have a sincere problem running "Mellel", a word processing program by Redlex (www.redlers.com). Everytime I start the program, it immediately crashes completely. Yet, up to yesterday, it worked flawlessly. Since then, I do not recount installing updates of any kind or altering anything else that I could make out to be possibly relevant. In the log, the reason given as the exception type is "EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)". Google gave about 13.800 hits, so it seems to be a common problem with failing to access memory of any kind. Yet, my attempts to solve it myself have been entirely unsuccessful.

For any help I would be very thankful and I don't know what more to do on my own! What exactly is the problem? How can I repair it? Since I expect many of you to possess the ability to understand it - this is the first part of the crash log (if it isn't enough, please just tell me and I'll provide for the entire log as an attachment, but it is too long for one forum post):

Many thanks in advance! This forum obviously seems to think that the log is funny, since it's converting some of it to smileys... :rolleyes:

2. shwc macrumors regular

Link to Mellel Forum article with a fix

According to the above thread the problem is Corrupted Style Sets created in version 2.6.1: If you ever opened the style sets window and clicked "Save" and not "cancel" in 2.6.1, the style sets may be damaged. The damaged file is retained during subsequent upgrades.

...move Style Sets and Templates folders out of the App Support/Mellel folder in order for Mellel to launch successfully. Then regenerate your Style Sets.

3. Waldi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much! It works like a charm. Now, I guess all I have to do is never to change the style sets in 10.6... ;)

Again, it's just great to see people willing to help out others in dire situations. Thanks.

4. shwc macrumors regular

I am always happy to help out a fellow Mellel & Mac user.:)