Problem saving webpages in Firefox3 (as html)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bsheridan, Aug 4, 2008.

1. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

When I want to save a web page in Firefox 3, I go to File | Save Page As..., and save as 'Web Page, complete'.
    But when I open up the saved webpage it is like a rubbish text-only version but with pictures.

The 1st pic below is of the website and the 2nd is of what it looks like after opening up the saved version.

(I'm just using the BBC site as an example, I was trying to save a copy of a flight confirmation originally.)

How can I fix this?

cheers, b.

Attached Files:

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

best way of saving confirmation info is to print it to PDF.

when saving webpages, firefox will not save external CSS files, which cause problem you described.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Think about what is going on. You browser receives the main page from the webserver. This page has links to numerous other files. These other files may be on the same server or some other server somewhere else on Earth. When you download everything, the files that you download are saved to your hard drive or some other volume under your control. If you want to "fix this," then you will have to go through and change each link to reference files on your storage volume.

4. bsheridan thread starter macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Yes, but I used to do it all the time in FF2 and had no problems.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

check allan's post right above yours, I think it should help your problem.

6. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

When you save, make sure 'All files' is selected (not web page complete). this will download all images / css files and put them in a folder all together for when you want to view the file offline.

7. bsheridan thread starter macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Thanks. Solved it!

I'm sure that the add-on would work but didn't want to install something for such a basic process.

Thanks for all your replies guys, much appreciated.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

wow, thanks for the confirmation, I didn't even realize that option before...:eek: