Problem: Screen Sharing in Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CortexRock, Feb 22, 2008.

1. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Can anyone help me get Screen Sharing in Leopard working please?

I've done the hack on both machines that allows the extra functionality in ScreenSharing.app

Scenario:

Mac 1 with fixed IP address and direct ADSL connection (router set to act as modem only), trying to share the screen of Mac 2 with a 192.168.1.2 IP address behind a router with a DHCP-assigned IP address.

Having got the user of Mac 2 to find their current DHCP IP address by looking at the WAN settings for their router, I'm unable to connect by typing that IP address into the ScreenSharing.app

Connect works fine going the other way (ie Mac 2 being able to see and control the screen of Mac 1).

I've considered that there may be something I need to add to the end of Mac 2's router IP address to identify the Mac itself, but I don't know what that would be!

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You probably need to do some port forwarding on the router of the machine you cannot connect to. I have no idea what port Screen Sharing uses, but I'm sure a quick Google will tell you.

3. CortexRock thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh dear - another round trip to the parents house then... assuming they haven't lost the admin login details for the router! No way I'm going to try and explain that over the phone... :)

Thanks for the help edesignuk

4. stomer macrumors 6502a

Normally, screen sharing is done over port 5900.

5. Nightline macrumors regular

Nightline

No screen sharing since Imac graphics update

Has anyone had this issue. I always connect to my Imac from my MacBook Pro, even here at home on the same network. I can see it in the list and access the drives, but all of a sudden no screen sharing. :mad:

:apple:

6. Parsec macrumors member

I have the same problem. I have the same setup as you have. An iMac and a MacBook Pro. Ever since (I think it was the 10.5.6) update I can't even see my iMac anymore on the local network. I can't get filesharing to work either. Hopefully they'll fix this in 10.5.7. Did you let them know? I'm going to right now.