Problem setting permissions for music files/General permissions & account help needed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dissolver, Jul 2, 2009.

1. dissolver macrumors newbie

Okay, so I took my computer to the Genius Bar in an attempt to solve the problem described here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=712305

After a lot of fruitless time-consuming crap including reinstalling my OS and deleting all my preferences, they created a new useraccount and it didn't have the problem. So they said I should just make a new account and migrate everything over there and use that.

Well, I've spent the last 8 hours trying to put everything to rights after everything they did to my computer. And I got most things taken care of. However, when in iTunes (which I had to reload my entire library into), I find that I can't edit information on any of the songs. I looked into file info and even though I told it to "apply to enclosed items" when I gave the new account read/write permission and transferred ownership.... it didn't do it. The files within the folders are still set as being owned by the old account, which, I assume, is why I can't edit them.

There has to be a way to fix this that doesn't involve going through 14,000 songs and individually changing their permissions settings, but I can't find it.

Please help. I am in tears at this point, I am so frustrated by all of this. All I want is for everything to WORK. And I refuse to take it back to the Genius Bar after everything I went through with them yesterday.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Pick a song, any song.

Then do a:

Code:
    ls -la /path/to/music/file
    Also check your iTunes files:

Code:
     ls -la ~/Music
    Also do an 'ls -la' on the iTunes folder and report the results and the user id.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It could be that the music is associated with your old account name. The commands given by belvdr should reveal that info. If it's the case you'll need to change the owner of the files.

Code:
    sudo chown -R user:user /path/to/music
    It'll ask for your password. Replace user with your user name. The -R mean recursive, though you may want to leave that off any try on a couple files to see if this resolves the issue before applying it to all music files.