Problem setting the hdtv to the correct resolution when connected to my macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bathplug, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I have a 2011 15" macbook pro & mini display port to hdmi adapter. When I set it up to my samsung hdtv the text and overall picture quality isn't very clear on the tv.

I also have my pc connected to the tv using a vga cable and it looks fine, in the display properties on the pc it's set to 1360x768.

The resolutions settings I have for the samsung tv in preference on the mac are 1080i, 720p, 480p etc and all look crap to me. If I set my hdtv to the 720p option in preferences then press the info button on the tvs remote it says 1280x720p. How do I get it to 1360x768? Should I have gotten a via adapter for my mac book pro instead?

The tv is old and here are the specs.

26" samsung hdtv http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...V/Product.html

Resolution: 1366x768
    Brightness: 500 cd/2
    Dynamic Contrast: Yes (3000:1)
    Response Time: 8ms

Thanks
    Bathplug is online now Report Post

2. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

You can try SwitchResX to force the proper resolution.

Hopefully that will work, but there are many possible problems.

3. Bathplug, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

Bathplug thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm trying that now but haven't got a clue how to use it. It says the default resolution for the samsung tv is 1280x720 which I can change but nothing happens. Edit: I manage to figure it out but my tv says display not supported.

Will the tv just work if I get a vga adapter instead? Why isn't there an option for the resolution I want anyway, do all hdtvs have this problem? I looked on youtube and most people just plug in there hdtv and they work fine, do I need a full 1080p tv for this to work without the hassle?

Thanks