Problem Setting up Airport Express with Powerline Adapters

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jhkaplan, Apr 5, 2012.

1. jhkaplan macrumors regular

We just had our internet re-setup today (there was a big problem with our building). They had to move the modem from the living room to our bedroom. My primary area of need for the AEX is the living room since we have an Apple TV and Directv box that need hardwire internet.

I bought Netgear powerline adapters to swing the signal from the bedroom to the living room, which I would then connect to the AEX to create my wireless network and use the switch to push internet to the aTV.

I'm having big problems doing this...when I connect my Macbook Pro directly to the powerline adapter, I get internet no issue. No DNS or IP issues, it just works.

However, I then take that ethernet cable from the powerline directly to the AEX, and set up my wireless network. Now, the AEX cannot get any internet access and is having IP and DNS issues. This is so frustrating I cannot figure out what to do. I've tried pulling the power on each connection in the chain and powering them back up in order, and that doesnt work.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing in Airport Utility when I connect to the wireless:
    [​IMG]

Any idea what I can do to fix this? I am so frustrated with this damn thing...

Thanks!
    Josh

2. jhkaplan thread starter macrumors regular

Ok this is strange. I have wifi internet now, but the airport extreme is blinking amber. I cannot figure out why or how to turn it to green. The important thing is I have wifi, but i'm OCD and that blinking amber is going to mess with my head like a laughing clown.

This is what airport utility now looks like:

[​IMG]

3. jhkaplan thread starter macrumors regular

Ok now I'm getting wifi, but a double NAT error. I'm connecting my Airport Extreme directly to my cable company's modem via ethernet. I've reset both the modem and AEX multiple times to try and resolve this issue, and nothing worked... I have internet, but again the flashing amber light...

And if i move the AEX to bridge mode, I get no internet from either device. On Airport Utility, both modem and AEX are amber colored with no internet.

4. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Are you connecting the modem to the Airports Internet port? And not one of the regular cat 5 ports? And is your airport set to auto everything?

If it was me, I would reset the airport and reset the cable modem. And plug the computer you are using to test with directly into the airport, until you get everything working correctly.

Your cable modem isn't using PPoE is it?

5. steve217 macrumors regular

steve217

Josh,

Also, can you grab the Airport 5.6 Utility and check the logs. There may be some more clues there.

6. nhudgell macrumors member