Problem Sharing External Hard-drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jaz969, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Jaz969 macrumors newbie

Hi! Recently my parents bought my sister an external hard-drive for college to hold all her music and such, just as we do at home. So I copied all the music she wanted off our home external hard-drive onto her new one using our Windows XP Desktop. After everything was on it, I connected her hard-drive into her macbook. I can play all the music on the hard-drive, but if my sister wants to move say, her Incubus folder of music already on her pc into the external hard-drive, a window pops up saying that the external hard-drive cannot be edited. I looked at the folder info on the mac to find that all the folders were read only, so i plugged it back into the desktop we own to make all the folders not read only (because I don't know how to do that on a mac). No luck, the same thing occurs. If I try to put things on the external hard-drive it says that the device cannot be edited. What should I do?

2. synth17 macrumors newbie

Try this:

Get info [apple key + i or right click and select get info] of the hard drive in question. Look at the bottom for[under sharing and permissions expand the triangle if not already expanded]:

Ignore ownership on this volume and check the box. If it's grayed out click on the lock and type your or an administrator account name and password.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Different computers have different formatting.

The external harddrive is formatted as NTFS.

There is a software that will allow read and write access of NTFS volumes in OSX.

4. Jaz969 thread starter macrumors newbie

this worked! thanks bro cheers