problem sharing file via Drop Box

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chatoyer, Jan 5, 2009.

1. chatoyer macrumors regular

Hi all,

Have a Blackbook and a Unibody Pro on the same network. With the unibody, I can see the place files in the Blackbook's Drop Box, but when I go to open the newly-placed file in the Blackbook's Drop Box, I get a error message saying the file "is used by Mac OS X and cannot be opened". If I try to drag the file from the Blackbook's Drop Box to the desktop, I get the error "Some of the items you are moving are in use by another application. Move the items can cause problems with the application using them..."

What am I doing wrong?

- File sharing enabled on both computers
    - Firewalls disabled on both

Cheers for any help -

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

3. chatoyer thread starter macrumors regular

just a pdf. Tried with a different pdf as well, same problem.

4. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Ok, slightly obvious (and dumb question, so forgive me :p ) but the pdf's on the Blackbook aren't open, say in, Preview or Adobe? Or, in fact, try shutting down these programs entirely (no blue light under them in the dock), then try again.

Maybe try a different type of file? Say a txt, or mp3? Also, do you get the same problem if you go the other way? Blackbook -> Unibody vice versa?

5. chatoyer thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm...tried a different file from the Unibody to the Blackbook (an mp3) but still didn't work.

Tried the reverse (Blackbook to Unibody's Drop Box) but when I go to open a pdf, I get "There was an error opening this document. There was a Macintosh system error (-5000)."

Update: I can open a gif, however, going from the Blackbook to the Unibody.

Further update: the pdf going from the Blackbook to the Unibody had the incorrect permissions. But, still can't go from Unibody to the Blackbook (tried with the same files that came from the Blackbook originally).

6. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Hmm, that sounds like a permissions error. What are the permissions on the actual Drop Boxes themselves? Also, are you running any security? Firewall, AV etc?

7. chatoyer thread starter macrumors regular

Firewall disabled, and no AV (yet, although our IT guys are threatening me with Sophos - good lord...)

Just fixing permissions on the Unibody right now. It was a permissions problem coming from the Blackbook to the Unibody (updated above) but still a problem going from the Unibody to the Blackbook. We'll see if fixing permissions helps matters. Thanks for your help, thus far, Cerebrus' Maw!

8. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Sophos! D=

No problems at all, mate. Let that repair finish up, and get back to the thread and tell us how it went.

9. chatoyer thread starter macrumors regular

Update: repairing permissions on the Unibody didn't fix. Tried two pdf files going from Unibody to Blackbook and both have the following permissions:

Me: "custom access"
    nobody: "read & write
    staff: read only
    everyone: read only

Just researching this a bit more: could be related to the fact that the user account on the Blackbook was just created. In fact, my entire user folder for the new account sits as 'custom access'. Repairing permissions on the Blackbook now. Stand by...

10. chatoyer thread starter macrumors regular

Fixing permissions on the Blackbook didn't help. Still can't copy a file from the Unibody to the Blackbook's drop box and be able to open it.

A reboot on the Blackbook hasn't helped either.

Home folder on the Blackbook still says I have 'custom access" even my user has read and write privileges.

I'm officially stumped.

11. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

So the file cant go from the Unibody to the Blackbook's Drop box?? More then likely the problem is on the Unibody, since it wont release the file.

Are you having any other problems on the Uni?
    Also, are moving copies of files? Or are they the original files? Just for my own curiousity.

12. chatoyer thread starter macrumors regular

File can't go from Unibody to Blackbook, correct. Well, it gets transferred, but I can't open it on the Blackbook. No other problems on the unibody that I am having.

Am moving the originals of files. Not copies.

My theory that is has something to do with the 'custom access' may not hold much water. My user account on the Unibody also says I have custom access, and, as I say, no problems.

Humph...

13. Izzy macrumors member

How are the permissions set on the Dropbox folder itself? Mine is set to "read & write" for my computer and "read only" for everyone. I share files with two colleagues and three of us can have the same Word file open at the same time.

14. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Ahhh!!!! Two secs, I've heard of this problem before.. have to do some digging...it's to do with ACL's

EDIT: Do me a favor. Make a COPY of a file, and put the copy into the drop box, see what happens...

15. chatoyer thread starter macrumors regular

The dropbox on the Blackbook has the following permissions:

Me: read and write
    staff: "write only (Drop Box)"
    everyone: "write only (Drop Box)"

That looked odd, so I changed it to match yours, Izzy.

That seems to have fixed it!

I owe you guys a beer if you ever make it to New Zealand. Seriously. Thanks HEAPS.

16. chatoyer thread starter macrumors regular

Mate, I started going down the same path as you with the ACLs. Was looking at some pretty meaty terminal commands that were scaring the bejesus out of me.