Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyc999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
I have a 2011 model with lion. Sometimes, when I try to shut down my mac, it won't shut down. I will get a message that says that Mail application couldn't quit and it prevented shut down. This problem only occurs sometimes and other times my mac shuts down fine. Anyone have any suggestions to fix this annoyance?

nyc999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
bump. with all the mbp retina threads, there is no room left for good old mbp :(

nyc999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Quit mail before shutting down? Or do force quit if it happens?

when this happens, force quit generally takes a couple of minutes to happen. small annoyance but would be great if I could prevent it from happening.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I have this issue as well. It's intermittent. If I disable my Yahoo account the problem goes away but not 100% sure of this. There's another thread floating around about Mail not quitting on shutdown. I can't find the damned thing though. :eek:

I typically just use Activity Monitor to force quit Mail, then shutdown. I'm guessing we don't hear more about this issue because most people simply sleep their macs.

nyc999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
I wonder if the randomness of this occurrence is related to mail app scanning for new mail while the computer is being shut down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.