Problem starting my macbook, freezes at login and goes to Darwin console

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wparkey53, Jun 22, 2009.

1. wparkey53 macrumors newbie

The weirdest thing has happened to my MacBook. It was running a little slow today so I restarted it thinking it would help clear out the memory and whatnot.

When I restarted it, everything seemed normal. It makes the classic "mac soud" and shows the apple with the circular loading wheel. It then goes to the login screen, just as it normally does. However, once it goes to the login screen, the spinning beachball comes up and it freezes temporarily. This is when it starts to get bad.

The screen then goes black and comes up with white letters saying:
    Darwin/BSD (my name's Computer.) (console)
    login:

sometimes, I have time to type in my username and password, sometimes not. Either way, the following comes up:
    disk0s2: 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED)

it then goes back to the login screen, which completly freezes every time.

I am completly frustrated and terrified that I will not be able to access my data, which includes over 2 years of music, pictures etc. that have not been backed up. Does anyone know what is going on with my MacBook? Any little advice or solution would be very, very much appreciated.

Thank You

2. cMacSW macrumors regular

Can you reboot off the OS X install CD? If so you could re-install the OS and see if that fixes things.

3. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

If he is able to reboot off the disk, I'd recommend backing up whilst he still has a chance, before trying anything else.

4. turqmelon macrumors newbie

try launching your computer in Safe Mode. If that doesn't work insert the disk and than go to "Utilities" > "Disk Utility". Click the two buttons at the bottom that say "Repair Disk" and "Repair Permissions" or something. Hope that helps.

5. yamenu13, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

yamenu13 macrumors newbie

How do I open safe mode...

How do I open Safe mode? I tried to continue with safe mode but it gives me an error message.

6. tug macrumors 6502

have you got file vault turned on?
    could it have been corrupted?

7. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Not sure if this will help or not, but I suggest reinstalling the OS. It might get rid of the problem.