Problem starting to install Leopard on G4 iMac running OSX 10.3.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lesg, Jan 5, 2008.

1. lesg macrumors newbie

I have a Power PC G4 iMac with 1.25GHz CPU speed and 1GB RAM. It is currently running OSX 10.3.9 and I am trying to install Leopard. I bought a Leopard family pack and it has successfully installed on my daughter's laptop.
    When I put the DVD into my computer and click "install" it asks me to restart the computer to continue. I click "restart", the computer restarts, I key in my password and I just end up in the same place as I started, needing to click to install and then restart the computer.....
    I have tried restarting holding down the C key but this has made no difference. There are 5 other user accounts on the computer (belonging to other family members). Do I need to get rid of these before I install? Or am I making some other very basic mistake here?
    Advice very much appreciated. Les G

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try selecting the DVD as your Startup Disk in System Preferences, and then rebooting.

3. lesg thread starter macrumors newbie

now sorted!

Many thanks. I had already tried your suggestion initially to no avail. However finally realised that needed to press the Option Key while rebooting computer to get the computer to start up from the Leopard DVD....AND that the option key was my "ALT" key, not the "C" key that the Leopard Instruction Booklet had told me to press. Anyhow, all seems to be working fine now, my upgrade has installed, my data hasn't disappeared anywhere and I'm generally very pleased. Les G

4. fourth macrumors newbie

leopard won't start on 10.3.9, says needs 10.4

I insert the leopard install disc, held the option key when rebooting as instructed in this forum, selected to restart from the OS on the DVD, and the installer opened fine. Then, after selecting ENglish as my language, a dropdown window came out of the top of the installer dialog box, saying "in order to upgrade to Mac OS v. 10.5, you must have Mac OS 10.4 or later already installed on your computer. Searching for Mac OS v10.4..." and then "Mac Os cannot be upgraded to v10.5 on your computer. Mac OS v10.4 or later could not be found on your computer."

The genius at the bar in Apple's flagship store denied that this could ever happen. I haven't gone in and showed him yet, but what the hell is going on? It doesn't say 10.4 anywhere in the system requirements...
    Thanks for any help you can give.

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Can't you do an archive and install instead of upgrading? If it still doesn't work try erasing the hard drive and do a fresh install. Of course a backup of your importnat data will be needed!

6. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

forth...

... It's doing what should happen for an upgrade DVD, like the one that came with my MacBook Pro, it being one of the ones made just before Leopard's release but bought afterwards.

As I don't have an off-the-shelf Leopard DVD, I can't compare them, but I thought you'd like to know. Are you sure it's not an upgrade DVD you've got? :confused:

7. fourth macrumors newbie

I think you're right, MarcBook, it's the upgrade disc that came with a computer: on the disc it says: "CPU drop-in DVD. THis software is part of a hardware bundle--not to be sold separately." (I got it from a friend). So I guess all I can do is find a copy of 10.4. Blah. Thanks for the info.

8. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Tiger's pretty cheap to get hold of these days. Since you've already got the upgrade DVD, getting Tiger should be cheaper than getting a full copy of Leopard. Good luck! :)