Problem streaming movies from Mac using MediaLink to PS3? help?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by kashmoney2006, Jun 30, 2008.

1. kashmoney2006 macrumors regular

When trying to watch movies streaming from my mac to the PS3 the movie is very choppy. I am not sure why. It will play for about 5 seconds, stop for about a second, and repeat; making the movie unwatchable. is this a known problem, or is it just me? I am unable to check the sony forums for help as they have banned me due to my handle name, and i dont know of any work around. I would appreciate any help or insight as to how to fix this. Thanks in advance.

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I had this problem a while back. I updated to the latest MediaLink and the latest PS3 firmware and it fixed the issue. I haven't had the problem since, and use MediaLink almost daily.

3. kashmoney2006 thread starter macrumors regular

I am also running the latest version of both, at least i think i am. MediaLink is version 1.54 for me. are you using an airport extreme for your wifi through your house? thats what i am using.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I have a TimeCapsule, so essentially the same thing. My PS3 is hooked up via ethernet, my MBP wireless, and all the media is physically stored on the TimeCapsule.

5. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I hope this isn't true - I'm coming back on August 12th, and I sold my old iPhone. I'm dreading not having a phone from day 1.

6. evan g macrumors regular

Uh... are you sure you posted in the right place, or did I miss something...?

7. kashmoney2006 thread starter macrumors regular

lol wtf? anyways...

so fishkorp, your PS3 is hooked up to your Time Capsule through ethernet? have you tried to hook it up wirelessly? I have both my PS3 and my MBP all hooked up wirelessly, and I have an external drive hooked up to the Airport through usb and also have a couple movies on my MBP in iTunes. the movies on the external wont play at all, I get an error that says it is an invalid data type, and the movies in iTunes will skip. hopefully the next firmware update helps my problem. I would just move the airport and directly connect like you do, but I have a printer connected to it in the other room, and there is no room for the printer in the living room, where my PS3 is.

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

If you are downloading DIVX files sometimes they have issues playing on the PS3 since you have no control over how somoene else setup a divx file. xvid can have some issues to for the same encoding reasons.

I have my PS3 running wireless to a access point in the same room (Cisco Aironet 1231G), that goes to a Cisco Catalyst switch behind a wall which then goes upsairs to another Catalyst switch and then on to my MBP which has a external FW drive connected to it. All my content is on that external drive. Any video I have encoded or steam from itunes has worked seamless, however at times I'll download a divx of some Japanese comedy/music video whatever you have it and it will show as "unsupported format" or "invalid data type" which are basically the same error, it means the way the file was encoded is not supported on the PS3. The PS3 is an officially DiVX certified device, but it has limitations, it certainly is no VLC.

The stuttering is usually network congestion or I/O contingencies. When I was using a old POS linksys access point I had videos stutter at times, once I changed over my wireless network gear all seemed to work fine. Also make sure that the drive is FW or E-SATA, both have faster and more consistant speed than USB. USB tends to burst rather than maintain high speeds making it poor for video streaming applications.

Good luck