Problem synching apps after iOS4 Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bschroed37, Jul 29, 2010.

1. bschroed37 macrumors newbie

I have a 3GS running OS 4.0 jailbroken with Pawnage tool. Everything seems normal except that iTunes is acting really weird when I try to synch my apps.

When I plug my phone into iTunes and click on the "apps page", instead of seeing a screen shot of my iPhone showing all of the apps I have installed, iTunes shows a blank page. The wallpaper of my phone is displayed, but the rest of the phone is completely blank (no apps, not even the default apps or dock apps like the phone, iPod, email, SMS, calendar, etc). When I tried synching my phone, iTunes rearranged all of my paid apps in alphabetical order. I then rearranged them and tried synching again, only to find the iTunes had put them back into alphabetical order again. ITunes wouldn't recognize any of the folders that I created either. Each time I synched the phone, my folders would be deleted.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? I read this article on MacWorld where the guy reviewing iOS 4 (and those who left comments) had the same problem with their stock (unjailbroken) iPhone so, I think its a iTunes problem as opposed to a jailbreak problem.

From MacWorld article: "I did experience one issue where, after creating a number of folders in iTunes, and then syncing my iPhone with iTunes, all the folders disappeared and my apps were rearranged (on the phone) in alphabetical order—an incident that required quite a bit of time and effort to recover from."

Thanks

2. bschroed37 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. andy071202 macrumors member

Let me do a bit of digging for you will getback to u soon

4. andy071202 macrumors member

Is your pc or mac authorised

press store then authorize then you type your password and it May sync your apps.

5. bschroed37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this computer (PC) is authorized.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I've had a JB iPhone since the 2G days, so its strange that I'm just having problems now.

6. andy071202 macrumors member

unistall itunes fully from your system and re install it
    i know it annoying but after digging a bit this seems to have worked for a few people
    fingers crossed it works for you

7. andy071202 macrumors member

if that does not work
    try this too
    i pressume u are using itunes 9.2
    if so then get itunes 9.1.1(http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/...r-windows-and-mac-os-x-official-direct-links/
    scroll down to itunes setup bit where it gives u correct setup for your operating system)
    and install it

replace "iTunes Library.itl" with the last one in "Previous iTunes Libraries" folder (you'll have to rename it).

im going out to play football in a bit so i may not be on when you try these solutions
    but i will check when i get back if you have been successful or not
    and will assist you further
    GL
    really hope above helps you out

8. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

What version of iTunes?

BTW- appsync is probably not allowed to be talked about in the forum ;)

9. bschroed37 thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up upgrading to iTunes 9.2.1 yesterday after I first discovered the problem hoping that would solve it, which it did not.

I even removed and reinstalled the Apple Mobile Device Support as was suggested in other posts on similar topics, but without any success.

I will give this a shot and let you know. Thanks again.

10. bschroed37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried this solution but iOS4 requires iTunes 9.2 or above so 9.1.1 won't work. Going to reinstall 9.2 and see if that will work.

11. bschroed37 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had problems synching my apps with both 9.2 and 9.2.1. I am currently reinstalling 9.2

12. bschroed37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, none of the suggestions here have worked so far.

I downgraded to iTunes 9.2 (from 9.2.1) without success. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

13. andy071202 macrumors member

Can you try another pc?
    I have done a fair bit of research and can't find a valid solution

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Did you make this custom firmware yourself? Are you sure it was made from the final release version of 4.0 and not a beta? One of the beta firmwares had this issue of deleting folders and rearranging apps on the desktop. It was solved in the release version.

15. bschroed37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I did make the custom firmware myself. I can't remember where I downloaded the iPhone firmware from originally, but perhaps that's the problem.

I guess I can try creating a new custom firmware using Pwnage Tool and try again.

Thanks.

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Always get your firmware files from The iPhone Wiki. They will give you links to the official Apple download servers.

17. bschroed37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Success! I took your advice and downloaded fresh copies of both Pwnage Tool and the iTunes firmware and created a new cooked firmware, which is working correctly with both my Mac and PC.

Not sure what the problem was, but thanks again to all those who took time to reply.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm pretty sure you were using a beta. This was a known issue, but I've never heard of it with the release version. Glad it worked for you!

19. justdave macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat.

I have iTunes 9.2,1 installed on my mac and iphone 3gs os 4.0.1 and this appsync is driving me mental please can someone give me some advice on how to stop it or resolve the issue,

Cheers

20. justdave macrumors newbie

21. justdave macrumors newbie

22. mgrantz macrumors newbie

Same problem here too. iTunes 9.2,1 installed on PC w/ iphone 3gs & JB os 4.0.1. Syncing with itunes takes away the app folders and puts all apps in alphabetical order.

23. MarkSta1 macrumors newbie

You have to disable or uninstall any app you have that changes the icon or dock layout. Apps like Infinidock, FivecolumnSB, FiveIcondock, etc. I played around with it for a while and discovered Infinidock was causing the problem for me. I had to completely uninstall it thru Cydia in order for iTunes to read my phone correctly. If you're using FivecolumnSB you can simply disable it thru it's options. I assume that any app that makes changes to your icon and/or dock layout causes this problem. Just uninstall or disable all of these types of apps that you have, restart your springboard, sync your phone, then re-enable and re-install the apps that cause the problem. I hope this helps. It worked for me.

24. MarkSta1 macrumors newbie

You have to disable or uninstall any app you have that changes the icon or dock layout. Apps like Infinidock, FivecolumnSB, FiveIcondock, etc. I played around with it for a while and discovered Infinidock was causing the problem for me. I had to completely uninstall it thru Cydia in order for iTunes to read my phone correctly. If you're using FivecolumnSB you can simply disable it thru it's options. I assume that any app that makes changes to your icon and/or dock layout causes this problem. Just uninstall or disable all of these types of apps that you have, restart your springboard, sync your phone, then re-enable and re-install the apps that cause the problem. I hope this helps. It worked for me.