Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raubrey133

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
so i have a macbook pro and i have os x lion and i have the recent updates. but i can't seem to take screenshots, when i hit either ctrl, command, shift and 4 or 3 it makes the sound but it doesn't save the picture. any suggestions to fix this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
so i have a macbook pro and i have os x lion and i have the recent updates. but i can't seem to take screenshots, when i hit either ctrl, command, shift and 4 or 3 it makes the sound but it doesn't save the picture. any suggestions to fix this?
If it makes the sound, it's taking the pic. You may not know where it's putting them, however. Have you looked in your Desktop, Downloads and Document folders? Also, you can use Finder to search for any image files created in the past day, which should find them, wherever they are.

To change the default folder for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/username/Desktop/ (or whatever path you prefer)
killall SystemUIServer​

Or you can install Secrets preference pane to select your default screencap folder.

Taking Screenshots in Mac OS X

raubrey133

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
If it makes the sound, it's taking the pic. You may not know where it's putting them, however. Have you looked in your Desktop, Downloads and Document folders? Also, you can use Finder to search for any image files created in the past day, which should find them, wherever they are.

To change the default folder for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/username/Desktop/ (or whatever path you prefer)
killall SystemUIServer​

Or you can install Secrets preference pane to select your default screencap folder.

Taking Screenshots in Mac OS X

it worked, thanks a lot for the help. i figured out what i was doing wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.