Problem Taking Screenshot in Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by someone28624, Dec 26, 2007.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I'm having a problem with screen shots. When I hit the ctrl, apple, shift, 4 to take a screenshot, I hear the camera sound, but I can't find where the screenshot is saved to. It's not the desktop like i thought it was suppose to be.

2. nokiauk macrumors member

it's command + shift + 3 to get a desktop screenshot, on my mac it just deposits the image on the desktop.

command + shift + 4 gives you crosshairs to select what part of the screen you want captured, again it goes on the desktop

3. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

I think that saves it to the clipboard.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah thats right. Its command-shift-4 to save it to the desktop.

5. imachias macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. My screencaps no longer save to the desktop. I've searched my entire hard drive and can't find them anywhere.

Does anyone have a solution or know if this is a problem?

6. ricpac macrumors member

if it ain't normal then it ought to be a problem; did you ever try it with command-shift-F4?

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

from http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

8. imachias macrumors newbie

I am well versed in using screencaps with command-shift-4, I've been doing it for years and have taken thousands of screencaps this way.

When I do it now, Leopard acts like it's taking a screencap and makes the camera sound, but nothing ever appears on the desktop. I don't see anything called Picture 1.png or whatever. Leopard goes through all the motions but never writes a file.

Apparently I'm not the only one having this issue.

9. imachias macrumors newbie

It is a widespread issue and I found the solution:

Delete this file from ~/Library/Preferences: .GlobalPreferences.plist

It fixes it.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

11. BS1944 macrumors newbie

I've just upgraded my new iMac (bought 6 months ago) from Tiger 10.4.11 to Leopard 10.5.2. Prior to upgrade, screen shots worked - not only on my Apple keyboard, but also on my old wireless Microsoft keyboard. Since upgrade I cannot do any screen shots using either keyboard. I've looked THOROUGHLY in the file listed above and searched in Spotlight for it and cannot find .GlobalPreferences.plist anywhere, so I can't delete it. I've even tried using Automator to set up screen shots and nothing works. I've got my old Tiger version on a bootable backup HD and when I go back to it I can do screen shots with either keyboard. I've tried rebooting, disconnection my Microsoft keyboard/mouse, and everything else I can think of and nothing works. HELP - this is a function I use frequently and it's frustrating the heck out of me!!! I've got another brand new iMac - bought last week with Leopard pre-loaded on it - and screen shots works beautifully on it - even with my Microsoft keyboard and my Apple keyboard.
    ‹3

12. designcodec, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  13. designcodec, Sep 11, 2008
  14. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Where is the clipboard?

15. designcodec, Sep 12, 2008
  16. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Thanks a lot for the info! Very useful!:D

17. fedora33 macrumors newbie

fedora33

Dear designcodec, sorry to get back to the same clipboard problem, here we go 2011,
    My mac 10.5.8 does not keep copy to the clipboard to preview it always post it to the desktop, I relaunched the finder, but it still on the desktop. If I screen shoot copy it to the clipboard it should paste it to any app, but it saves it to the desktop. thank you for your help

18. Homeyra macrumors newbie

screen shots

I'm having a problem with screen shots on one of my mac machines. When I hit the ctrl, apple, shift, 4 to take a screenshot, I take a picture that will save on the desktop, but the image is just a few tilted parallel lines every time. I am not sure what the problem is?!

19. jsea macrumors newbie

Problem is in the Finder!

Thank you designcodec!
    "But here's the thing and the bottom line:
    I don't believe all this has anything to do with the "Missing screen shot" problem. Most people don't make screen shots using the Option key (explained above). So they aren't saving the screen capture temporarily to the Clipboard. Therefore the Clipboard doesn't come in play here. You normally make a screen capture and the shot should be saved as a file that does directly to the desktop. And that's the problem. Sometimes the shot doesn't display correctly on the desktop. The shot is really on the desktop. It's just that the Finder screws up and doesn't display it. I And that is the problem of missing screen shots. The culprit is the Apple/Finder (I explained that in 2 previous posts here)."

Your response worked. I opened the finder and changed the desktop view to arrange by Date Created, suddenly I could see all of the screen shots that had not displayed. Fabulous! Problem solved. http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

----------

Thank you designcodec!
    "But here's the thing and the bottom line:
    I don't believe all this has anything to do with the "Missing screen shot" problem. Most people don't make screen shots using the Option key (explained above). So they aren't saving the screen capture temporarily to the Clipboard. Therefore the Clipboard doesn't come in play here. You normally make a screen capture and the shot should be saved as a file that does directly to the desktop. And that's the problem. Sometimes the shot doesn't display correctly on the desktop. The shot is really on the desktop. It's just that the Finder screws up and doesn't display it. I And that is the problem of missing screen shots. The culprit is the Apple/Finder (I explained that in 2 previous posts here)."

Your response worked. I opened the finder and changed the desktop view to arrange by Date Created, suddenly I could see all of the screen shots that had not displayed. Fabulous! Problem solved.