problem to find and configure Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bryff, May 8, 2010.

1. bryff macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I need some help with Airport Express.
    I try to accomplish to use Airport Express, connected to my stereo, to use to play the songs from my iTunes collection from a PC (Windows Vista).
    I have a Belkin N Wireless router which I use for a HP laptop which works fine.

My Airport Base Station Agent does not detect any AirPort Express, wirelessly.

When I connect with a wire from the Router to AIE it is detected, so I think that AIE itself works.
    But whatever I do, it does not seem to want to find the AIE without wire.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Beat

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

unless the express is connected to your network, either wired or wireless, you won't be able to see it from your computer.

on a mac (if you have a wireless card) (not sure if this works on windows or not) it will pick up the wireless name from an unconfigured express (Apple Network xxxxxx), if you try to configure that express, it will cause your mac to drop off your existing wireless network, and connect to the network coming from the express giving you a connection to that express.

you can connect the wire to configure the express, then remove the ethernet once your express is configured properly. It's even safe to move the express if you need to, as it will retain its settings when you unplug it from power.

the wired method actually works a bit better. If you mess something up with the first configuration trying to do it wireless, there's a good chance you won't be able to re-connect without doing a factory reset on the express, or connecting a wire.

3. ledzeppelin macrumors member

ledzeppelin

Hello,
    I would like to ask you a variation follow up question to your response, please.
    I am wanting to extend my Time Capsule wireless network with an Airport Express.
    So, is it better/easier to connect it to the base station (time capsule) for configuration and then move it on out into the house where it will live to extend the range of my network?
    I noticed that you said something to this effect and that it will hold the settings when unplugged and moved...and it is better to config. this way, right?
    thanks for an answer to help me cause tech support is not available at this time.
    Led

4. bryff thread starter macrumors newbie

@ WAW74, Thank you for your help so far.

I tried to set up Airport Express with Ethernet connected to it. That seems to work. I can go through all the details there. It comes to a point where it says, Airport Express was configured correctly and I would have to disconnect my modem, wait for some time, reconnect modem and then everything should be fine.
    However when I do this and also disconnect ethernet cable from airport express, the device is still not discovered.

I have also updated to the latest software available for airport express.

Any further help greatly apprecicated

Beat

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

Correct, that's actually why i put that in there

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

@bryff

You want to set it up to join the network created by your Belkin.

Try with a network cable from the express to your laptop, as that will get the express the closest to your desired setup as possible, That will also let you see any error messages when it boots back up

7. ledzeppelin macrumors member

ledzeppelin

thank you for the comment, I appreciate both of you letting me cut in for a minute....I was getting ready to set mine up and needed some reassurance, in the procedure thing, so thanks again.
    best to ya,
    Led

8. bryff thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm happy it worked out for you ledzeppelin

@waw74

Thanks for the help. I moved the airport express to the laptop, connected it with ethernet, set it up, got green light.

Then I took ethernet off and went back to my PC, plugged airport express to current, not ethernet.

In Airport Utility airport express is recognized. Went to manual set up and airport has status normal (green).
    Under 'Music' i set 'Enable Air Tunes' and found the iTunes Speaker Name.

In iTunes I go to the bottem right and choose speaker the airport express. A small popup appeas saying connecting to Aiport express, but does not connect to it and finally disappears again.

It seems I slowly get there, but not quit yet.

Any other suggestion greatly appreciated as always.
    Beat

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

try rebooting your main router, at least in my case when this happens, that fixes it.

10. bryff thread starter macrumors newbie

waw74,

I tried rebooting, still nothing happens.

Funny is, I can connect wireless to Airport Express from my PC. I can change settings there, it is recognized, but iTunes does not seems to connect to AirportExpress.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated
    Beat

11. bryff thread starter macrumors newbie

Just found the solution to my problem.

Just to check, I turned off my Internet Security, and I could change the speakers connected with airport Express.

So I had to set iTunes as trusted in the Internet Security and I am happily listening to my collection of music and changing it with my iPhone.
    How I can brag to my friends tomorow!

Thanks for the help waw74.

Beat

12. macjiro macrumors member

I wish to add a question/problem to this thread.
    I just picked up Airport Express.

I am just using it at home. I've been using cable ethernet cable directly to my MBP and wanted to go wireless.

So, i configured a new wireless network and it was successful. Its read by Airport Utility and green light. But when i click on Safari, it says i can't connect. I went through a couple 're-do's and still getting same issue. I'm sure that Express is set up properly and read by ISP, etc but when i open up Safari..no connection. Any clues?

13. macjiro macrumors member

Bump. This doesn't sound familiar to you guys? I can't find a pref setting in Safari if its disallowing me to connect. Is it a Leopard issue? I have 10.5.8