Problem transferring files/settings to new mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MUrhino, Oct 1, 2009.

1. MUrhino macrumors regular

MUrhino

I am trying to transfer my user settings and music/photo libraries to my new MBP from my old Alu PBG4 (running 10.4.11), however migration assistant was unsuccessful over the wireless network (which i have a feeling may be because of the old PBG4). The old PBG4 only shows options for using a firewire cable with migration assistant, however when using the MBP it responds to the authentication code sent out and starts the transfer, but gets hung up after about 5 min. I also have an external HD with a copy of my entire system, but can't figure out how to give the migration assistant access to it. Do I need to create a startup disk on my external HD for this? If so, how exactly do I go about doing that? Thanks for the help! I'd like to transfer only my itunes library w/ playlists, iphoto library w/ albums, and safari bookmarks...everything else can start fresh.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your system hard drive onto the extern, then run Migration Assistant to import from there.

3. MUrhino thread starter macrumors regular

MUrhino

I've been using DataBackup, a program that came with the drive from Other World Computing. It shows the entire contents of the HD (Apps, Library, Users, System, etc..). Would Carbon Copy Cloner make this appear any different, or so my new mac would recognize it? Do I have to be using a FW cable? Thanks!

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

D'oh! I'm an idiot. I missed that you were transferring from a PowerPC to Intel Mac. I suggest doing things manually rather than using Migration Assistant, then. There's a lot that can go wrong when migrating from one architecture to another.

5. MUrhino thread starter macrumors regular

MUrhino

That's what I was afraid of...

I wouldn't say you're an idiot, especially since you're helping me out here :p. Maybe I shouldn't wait so long to upgrade next time. I can drag and drop stuff into the appropriate folders pretty easily (my iPhoto library is intact and transferred fairly easily). However, I'm unsure how to import my music. I could drag and drop from one library to the other, but I'd like to transfer playlists, ratings, times played, album art, etc... as well. Any thoughts there?

One last question. I'm giving my old PBG4 to my parents but would like to get rid of all my files, music, extra programs, etc. Should I create a new admin user for them, then delete my current user or would you recommend doing a clean reinstall of OSX to make the machine a bit faster?...that would be fun, especially with the Tiger updgrade, iLife upgrade, Office...let the pain begin!

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Not sure if iTunes followed the same structure from older macs to newer, but it does follow the same structure across windows/OS X.

Go into your "iTunes" folder, and copy everything (if you can move something that large) to the new mac. Hold "Option" on the new mac, launch iTunes, and it will prompt you to "select library" or "create new".

Tell it to select library, navigate to the iTunes folder you copied, and select the library file. It works between windows/OS X, but again, I'm not sure if Apple has changed the library structure since changing to newer intel macs.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It does, yes. Besides, the OP probably has the latest version of iTunes on the old computer anyway.