Problem transferring files to new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by psybear, Dec 26, 2012.

1. psybear macrumors newbie

Got my new 27" iMac just before Christmas and I'm still installing stuff and generally getting it the way I want it. It's my first iMac and I'm coming from a Windows 7 PC.

I have a large photo library - over 200GB, mixture of RAW and JPEG files. They were stored on the PC hard drive but also backed up onto an external hard drive, which had been formatted as exFAT, in anticipation of the iMac being able to read it.

The iMac can read the external disc without a problem, but I'm having problems transferring the picture files - it has done a partial transfer but repeated attempts to copy & paste or drag files to complete the job result in an 'error 0' message. I've Googled this but the results all seem to refer to problems transferring TO an external drive, not FROM such a drive to the iMac's built-in hard drive.

I could work off the external drive only, but the plan was to transfer everything over and then use it as a Time Machine backup device.

Loving the iMac - but I'd be grateful for any suggested solution to this problem.

Thanks. :)

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Have you tried migration assistant? You can choose what to bring over. Thats what I did for my first iMac i got a couple of weeks ago.

3. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Super happy you like your iMac!
    You could try transferring it in "smaller" folders (thus splitting up the 200gb load)
    You could do it piece my piece with a thumb drive
    You could attach W7 to Mac and transfer over network

Best of luck