Problem transferring Yosemite photos library to El Capitan

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by yano729, Oct 9, 2015.

1. yano729 macrumors member

Hey, how is everybody. Im sorry if there is a thread on a similar subject that I missed. So here is the backstory. I went to upgrade my iMac to El Capitan a couple of days ago and it kept telling me that there was something wrong with my hard drive and that it wouldn't let me upgrade, so having back ups of my computer, I wiped out my hard drive, ran disk utility on it, and it came back that everything was functioning fine. So with my fresh hard drive I updated to El Capitan. When I started transferring over my data from my back ups to El Capitan, the only thing that caused me problems is transferring over my photos library. Its says its not compatible. I have about 10 gigs of photos that I do not want to lose. Anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this? I cant (figure out how to) look at the individual photos, they are all under my photos library app. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

How were transferring you library? Migration tool? Drag and drop? Restore from TM? Was the error during transfer or when trying to open your library using the Photos app?

3. yano729 thread starter macrumors member

I was transferring it by just dragging it from my external HD into the photos app on my desktop. Any other suggestions on how I should do it? Error was during transferring.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are going about this the wrong way.

Triple click the line below to select it then right click and in the Service menu select Reveal in Finder. Then drag the Photos Library.photoslibrary file from the external drive into this ~/Pictures Finder window and drop it to copy it over.

Then hold the option key when you next launch Photos and select this library as the default.

Code:
    ~/Pictures

5. yano729 thread starter macrumors member

Hey thank you so much Weaselboy! That did the trick. I really appreciate your help. Ill let you know if I have any more problems transferring the data if you don't mind. Thanks again.