Problem - Trying to use Automator to rename multiple files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AlmightyKen, Mar 23, 2010.

1. AlmightyKen macrumors newbie

I feel dumb asking this, but I'm trying to create an Automator workflow to rename multiple picture files and once and I've used this tutorial... The problem is that when I right-click my files or hit "control" and click the files I want to use I don't get an option that says "more" (see second picture of tutorial) so I can get the files into Automator. In place of "more" at the bottom of the Contextual menu I have an option that says "Set Desktop Picture". How can I get my files into Automator??

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Open up automator, click on workflow. Then go to actions and under "files and folders" drag "ask for finder items" over to the right. Make sure you check off "allow multiple selection" if you want to rename a large batch of files. Also make sure you specify if you are looking for files or folders etc.

Then find "get selected finder items" and drag it over under the previous action. Next, drag "rename finder items" under the previous action and you can specify the settings you want for renaming the items. After you specify the setting you want for renaming the items, hit the "run" button at the top of the screen. A finder window will show up, select items you want renamed and hit "choose" and automator should do the rest.

Note: using "rename finder items" will automatically put a "copy finder items" action above it to keep a backup in case you mess up renaming the files or something. If you dont need a backup, click on the X in the top right corner of the action to remove it.