Problem updating iPad to 5.1.1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Flymouse, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Flymouse macrumors newbie

:mad:Ok hubby bought my IPad used from amazon.com. of course he never thought to reset it back to old settings. I've put so many things on it while learning to use it. NOTE. I'm also blond and getting old. I'm so confused. anyways still trying to figure things out but previous owner had jailbreak on it ..... Not knowing what that was I had son delete it or I think we did. I keep trying to update it but it only updates half way then won't finish. Where can I get help with this. Thanks to those that might reply.

2. Europa13 macrumors 6502

Try doing a full restore rather than just updating. You will see a restore button under the summary tab in iTunes on your computer. Please post the error code if you experience any problems restoring.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

4. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem updating iPad to 5.1.1

But if I reset won't I lose all my books and apps. And not to mention my tiny Villiage and tiny monsters farms I have built up. Grin:(

----------

Ummm I know this is really going to make me sound stupid but here goes... I though iTunes was music?:eek:

5. Europa13 macrumors 6502

No, you can redownload apps for free after you've paid them. If you've synced with your computer, the apps will be in iTunes and you just sync them back on after the restore. If not, just download them again. You can restore from backup if you have an iTunes or iCloud backup and don't want to lose your settings and game saves.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iTunes started out as a music player, but grew into this monster of a program that controls almost very aspect of your iPod / iPhone / iPad.

Anyway, did you make an iClouds backup? If so, you can restore your iPad, first putting it into DFU mode, as explained in the link I included in my previous post. Once you restore your iPad, you then restore from your iCloud backup. I'll explain how once you've managed to restore your iPad, I don't want to write up too much information at once.

If you haven't made any backups, then I'm afraid all your data is gone. Once an iPad gets stuck with a failed update process, there's nothing to be done but to reset it and start over.

For future reference, yes, jailbroken devices do tend to get stuck during an update, it's why I always do a DFU restore when updating a jailbroken device. It takes only a few minutes longer to start the process than a simple update/restore, and saves me the hassle of redoing the process if it gets stuck the first time through.

7. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Lost

Ok I started an iCloud account but started getting confused so backed out of it. It sure would help if they had a manual for things that you could sit beside you and look at while you do what it says. Let me go see what else I need to do with iCloud. How do I know if it is all set up?

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/ios.html

9. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

iCloud is backing up

Ok it is backing up as I type. I had everything clicked to yes, but guess it didn't back up anything cause I never clicked OK om start iCloud backup. So I did ok now but it said"........your iPad will no longer back up to your computer automatically when you sync with iTunes. Which is another thing I have not set up because not sure what it is or how to do it. Right now I'm no longer using my computer cause it is way to slow. I need to get everything saved and then put it back to new. Which means taking every single email I saved in a folder and save it in a file. I don't want to lose my emails. But that is another matter. Ok so in note above you said something about if I had not backed up my iPad on iCloud yet it was to late to save everything or something like that????:eek:

----------

Just went to site u sent. It said make sure your device is running iOS 5. Where do I check that? And do I have to have iTunes on my computer? Cause it said iTunes 10.5 or later is required. I'm sorry to keep bothering you.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, you said you tried to update your iPad to 5.1.1, but the update failed. So I assumed your iPad wasn't working and you were unable to do anything with it.

But since it is working, and backing up to iCloud, once it finishes backing up, you should be able to restore it to factory, then recover all your data from your iCloud backup. Hmmm, not sure about how emails are handled, which email service are you using?

Settings > General > About

However, if you managed to set up iCloud, then your iPad is on iOS 5, obviously.

As for iTunes, in order to restore/update a jailbroken device, then yes, I'm afraid you do need iTunes. Jailbroken device tend to hang when you try to restore/update without iTunes, and as I said in a previous post, you need to put it in DFU mode, then restore using iTunes.

11. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

iCloud first

Does iCloud keep all my games at the level I am at? For example I am playing several games that I have build farms and decorations and on one I am now on level 16 Will it load back up like that?

I use EarthLink email

How do I know if my son totally removed the jailbreak from my iPad or not? And once removed will it work like a regular iPad that never had it on it before?

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes iCloud will backup your game state, and you'll get the games back as the last time you did a backup.

Email, from what I can tell, doesn't get backed up per se. If the emails are still on your email server, they'll get redownloaded when you restore from backup. You'll need to talk to EarthLink about their recommended method for ensuring you don't lose your emails.

Jailbreak, only way to completely remove a jailbreak is to do a restore. I don't know what your son did, but unless he did a restore, your iPad is still jailbroken. Just deleting jailbreak apps, like Cydia, doesn't unjailbreak the iPad. Once you restore, it will be like if it was never jailbroken.

13. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Jailbreak, only way to completely remove a jailbreak is to do a restore. I don't know what your son did, but unless he did a restore, your iPad is still jailbroken. Just deleting jailbreak apps, like Cydia, doesn't unjailbreak the iPad. Once you restore, it will be like if it was never jailbroken.

Not sure how to quote so copied n pasted. Grin

Ok previously you said something about if iPad was JB and I saved to iCloud something would happen. Or am I getting confused. I want to get everything understood before I do a restore.

And what is FDU mean??

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

To quote, use the big "quote" button in the lower right corner of each post.

Forget what I said before, I misunderstood what state your iPad was in.

In fact, forget iCloud, what you need to do first is to download and install iTunes. Post back when you have done that, and we'll take it one step at a time.

DFU -- it stands for something, I can never remember what, it's one of those things where knowing the full term doesn't tell you any more about what it actually means. It's basically a way of bypassing all software levels and getting the system to do a complete hardware reset. Because jailbreaking rewrites the system at a very basic level, you need to bypass all that in order to get rid of the jailbreak.

15. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

iTunes

Ok by now you are tired of helping me but please don't stop. I clicked on iTunes app on my iPad. It takes me to where to get music. Didn't see any thing about a n acct. help please. Thanks for all you have done so far:D

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not on your iPad. You need to install iTunes on your computer.

17. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

Itunes and Ipad

Not sure if you are on line, but if you are please respond. Hubby is finally off on a night when he can help me link my Ipad to my itunes on my computer. BUT neither of us have any idea how to do this. All he did so far is set up itunes on my computer. So we need to link the two somehow then save everything to itunes, then need to know how to reset my ipad. PLEASE HELP with all of this if you can. Thanks so much.

18. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Connect your iPad to the computer using the cable that came with it. You should then see it appear on the left hand side about half way down. Right click on the iPad and choose "Backup". Always good to have both an iCloud backup and one on your PC

Once the backup has completed you should see options in the centre of the screen. Choose restore and go through the screens. This will download the latest software for the iPad and put this onto the iPad, might take a little while to complete but don't disconnect the iPad.

Finally, once this is done you should get a setup screen appear on the iPad. The screen should also change on your PC. Click on "Restore from backup" and this will copy back over all your apps, settings and most importantly your game saves!

Will now be fully updated, unjailbroken and have your data back on there

19. wws macrumors member

Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your computer. (10.6.3 as of this writing) otherwise it won't work. Follow the post above me after you've updated it.

DFU stands for Device Firmware Update by the way.

20. Flymouse thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked

Thanks so much. Only thing that did not change is I still have to use my sons password even though I now have my own apple ID. So glad to get jailbreak off annnnnd finally get my Ipad2 updated. Have a great weekend.