psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I have a Mophie Juice Pack Air for my my iphone 5 and the USB cable that came with it is way too short for me. I tried using a longer one that I got from Monoprice and it worked fine until the last couple of days when I got a "This accessory may not be supported" message. I then swapped the original Mophie cable back in and the message went away (this has happened more than once too).

Is there anything special about the original Mophie cables that would prevent me from using a 3rd party cable? I called Mophie about this and they were unwilling to say anything other than recommending that I only use the original Mophie cable. That's all well and good but I need a cable longer than 32 inches and that's the biggest cable they sell. Why on earth would I not be able to use a 3rd party cable? It's just a micro USB cable.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Bumping this for ideas. Does anyone know if the usb cable that Mophie includes with their cases contains some type of chip that makes it compatible with ios7?

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just FYI, data pass through, using a micro usb cable on an mophie air, is not supported. To get around that synch the iPhone using the lightening cable and turn on wifi synch in iTunes.

Comment

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Just adding some new info to the thread here. I ordered a USB extension cable and tried using that along with the original Mophie micro usb cable that came with the Juice Pack Air - it still doesn't work and I get the same message that I've gotten with every other micro usb cable that I've tried. I'm losing my mind with this thing!

Comment

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Just adding some new info to the thread here. I ordered a USB extension cable and tried using that along with the original Mophie micro usb cable that came with the Juice Pack Air - it still doesn't work and I get the same message that I've gotten with every other micro usb cable that I've tried. I'm losing my mind with this thing!

I'm starting to think it is the case.

Comment

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I'm starting to think it is the case.

You think the case is defective? I don't see how that can be true if it works fine with the Mophie cable.

I'm actually wondering if it's because the other cables I've tried are all usb 2.0 cables. I'm not sure if the Mophie cable is usb 2.0. I asked Mophie that question and they actually didn't know the answer.

Comment

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
You think the case is defective? I don't see how that can be true if it works fine with the Mophie cable.

I'm actually wondering if it's because the other cables I've tried are all usb 2.0 cables. I'm not sure if the Mophie cable is usb 2.0. I asked Mophie that question and they actually didn't know the answer.

What wall charger are you using?

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple original that came with the phone.

I have a thread update.

- blackberry charger will charge iphone when mophie is fully charged.
- blackberry charger will not charge iphone or mophie when mophie needs charging, in fact a message is displayed.
- blackberry micro usb cable charges mophie properly.

There might be some validation that a data cable is needed to charge phone when mophie needs charging. In my case a bb micro usb cable is fairly long and works properly.

Last edited:
Comment

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I have a thread update.

- blackberry charger will charge iphone when mophie is fully charged.
- blackberry charger will not charge iphone or mophie when mophie needs charging, in fact a message is displayed.
- blackberry micro usb cable charges mophie properly.

There might be some validation that a data cable is needed to charge phone when mophie needs charging. In my case a bb micro usb cable is fairly long and works properly.

Hmmm - interesting. It sounds like you're only encountering the problem when both the case AND the phone need charging. I'll have to see if I notice the same thing.

I purchased an Unu Aero and I did get the same message with it, but I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it only happens when I deplete the case's battery as well.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.