problem using 3rd party cable with Mophie Juice Pack Air

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by psywzrd, Dec 19, 2013.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I have a Mophie Juice Pack Air for my my iphone 5 and the USB cable that came with it is way too short for me. I tried using a longer one that I got from Monoprice and it worked fine until the last couple of days when I got a "This accessory may not be supported" message. I then swapped the original Mophie cable back in and the message went away (this has happened more than once too).

Is there anything special about the original Mophie cables that would prevent me from using a 3rd party cable? I called Mophie about this and they were unwilling to say anything other than recommending that I only use the original Mophie cable. That's all well and good but I need a cable longer than 32 inches and that's the biggest cable they sell. Why on earth would I not be able to use a 3rd party cable? It's just a micro USB cable.

2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Use what ever cable you want, just disregard the message.

3. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

This ^^

I clocked it under both conditions and there was hardly a noticeable difference in charging times.

4. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I wish it was that easy. The problem is that the phone and case stop charging once this message pops up.

5. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Did you read my post right above yours?

6. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Having this problem again with another USB cable I bought on Amazon. Any ideas?

7. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Bumping this for ideas. Does anyone know if the usb cable that Mophie includes with their cases contains some type of chip that makes it compatible with ios7?

8. I7guy macrumors G5

I have a juice pack air and use my blackberry charger and blackberry micro-USB...works just fine.

9. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Which phone do you have and what iOS version are you on?

10. I7guy macrumors G5

iPhone 5s on 7.0.4.

11. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Seems like your micro usb cable is not a data cable. I think it needs to be a data came but I am not 100% sure.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

Just FYI, data pass through, using a micro usb cable on an mophie air, is not supported. To get around that synch the iPhone using the lightening cable and turn on wifi synch in iTunes.

13. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

14. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Just adding some new info to the thread here. I ordered a USB extension cable and tried using that along with the original Mophie micro usb cable that came with the Juice Pack Air - it still doesn't work and I get the same message that I've gotten with every other micro usb cable that I've tried. I'm losing my mind with this thing!

15. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I'm starting to think it is the case.

16. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

You think the case is defective? I don't see how that can be true if it works fine with the Mophie cable.

I'm actually wondering if it's because the other cables I've tried are all usb 2.0 cables. I'm not sure if the Mophie cable is usb 2.0. I asked Mophie that question and they actually didn't know the answer.

17. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

What wall charger are you using?

18. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Apple original that came with the phone.

19. I7guy, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

I7guy macrumors G5

I have a thread update.

- blackberry charger will charge iphone when mophie is fully charged.
    - blackberry charger will not charge iphone or mophie when mophie needs charging, in fact a message is displayed.
    - blackberry micro usb cable charges mophie properly.

There might be some validation that a data cable is needed to charge phone when mophie needs charging. In my case a bb micro usb cable is fairly long and works properly.

20. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Hmmm - interesting. It sounds like you're only encountering the problem when both the case AND the phone need charging. I'll have to see if I notice the same thing.

I purchased an Unu Aero and I did get the same message with it, but I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it only happens when I deplete the case's battery as well.