Problem using a hedaphone

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by saadat, Feb 25, 2009.

1. saadat macrumors member

saadat

Hello all
    The headphones do not work on my macbook. I have read a lot of similar cases.but this one is a lil different.. WHen i instert the headphone pin into the jack, the sound is from the internal speaker stops, but no sound comes thru the headphone. Unlike other cases, no red light comes thru the audio jack if no pin is plugged in. I tried the toothpick thing, the audio stops when i insert it and the red light also appears. when i take the toothpick out again, the sound resumes from the internal speakers and the red light is turned off. I use winxp bootcamp...and the sound doesnt work there even..Please advise something. the nearest apple store is 900 kilometers away....so plz help me...your help would be appreciated.
    regards
    saadat

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Do you have an Apple certified repair shop anywhere near you?

3. saadat thread starter macrumors member

saadat

no there isnt any apple certified repair shop or anything related to apple...can't i do it myself, if u knw the solution of this problem???

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

in every other thread about this issue, it comes back as needing a logic board replacement due to a fault headphone jack.

have you tried any other headphones?

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Test the headphone jack with a small pair of earphones.

What type of headphones are you using? Are they massive headphones that usually require an external amp or something?

6. saadat thread starter macrumors member

saadat

yes i did ttry using other headphones too... isnt there anything that i can do myself???i used my iphone earphones too...all i used were without amplifiers

7. harry454 macrumors 6502

ohh I my uncle had this problem, you have to insert the head phone in all the way and wiggle it around a bit till it gets connetion

8. saadat thread starter macrumors member

saadat

Thanks harry
    But can u give a little more detail that can help me. I wish to know what exactly i gotta do...thanks again

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

1. Push it in more.
    2. Wiggle till it works
    3. ....
    4. Profit!

10. saadat thread starter macrumors member

saadat

I did this, but nothing happens... when i wiggle the hadphone plug inside the audio jack, i hear a crackling sound... What do i infer from this...

I also called the apple support, they asked me to remove the battery and press the power button for 10 secs and restart the macbook again...that too didnt help... what do i do now...my warranty even has expired now..

11. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

That's what she said...

:p Sorry, I had too.

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Wow.

I didn't even realize how dirty that sounded until you mentioned it...hahahahah

Nicely played, good sir.

13. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Haha, yeah, first post of the morning too. Good way to start the day. Especially since I'm headed to the Apple store later today to get my logic board replaced...UGH! :eek:

14. saadat thread starter macrumors member

saadat

hey deus...cud u plz let me know how much does the logic board cost...my warranty is over and i think i'll have to pay to get it replaced..

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Well, I have no idea, since mine is still under warranty, so the sheet says $0. I was at the Apple store last saturday to get the part ordered in, and yesterday I got a call that it has arrived so I'm heading to the Apple store in a couple hours to give them my computer to get it replaced.

16. saadat thread starter macrumors member

saadat

hey deus
    do me a favour...ask them how much its gonna cost without warranty....ur help wud b appreciated

17. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

check out ifixit.com for pricing. or better yet, CALL APPLE

18. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

Seriously. How hard is it to call Apple and ask these questions? I don't understand peoples' adverse feelings to picking up the phone, calling Apple and getting answers to all the questions you have in a few minutes instead of posting over and over in a post to people who may or may not have the answers.

Call Apple. Ask questions. Get answers. Figure out if you're going to have to pay to get it repaired or not. Christ almighty.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can try using compressed air and burst a few shots into the headphone jack; be careful not to turn the can upside down.

20. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

See, you said exactly what I was thinking, but I didn't want to sound all mean :p

21. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Exactly, especially since I was not able to read that post before I went into the Apple Store today. But honestly, it shouldn't be too hard to get a quote on a part...especially if your computer is the current generation.

I hate living so far away from the Apple Store, after I dropped off my computer, I got a call 3 and a half hours later saying that it was done...but that was at 8:30 and they close at 9, and I live an hour away...sucks. And I won't even have a chance to get it tomorrow...so it's just sitting there :eek: