problem using finder to connect to FTP server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stustaff, Aug 27, 2011.

1. stustaff macrumors newbie

Ok so i am trying to connect to FTP://blah.dyndns-at-home.com I open the connect to server option from finder and then type in the address and press connect.

I can then see the top level folder Volume-1, I open that and can see its contents, I click on the next folder in and can see the folders within that. I then click on the next folder(which has audio or image files in it) nothing happens for a few seconds... Then I get a message saying 'server connection interrupted' with option to ignore or disconnect all, Ignoring just locks it up for a few seconds but I cam get no further.

IF i connect to that FTP in firefox I can navigate everything in there and have no issues.

I have tried using cyberduck too and have same issue as in finder, can connect fine... But when I try to open the 3rd or 4 th folde it throws me out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. SookieSam macrumors newbie

Hello,

I don't think the problem is with your setup ... I think the problem is with the way the ftp server is configured.

An ftp client establishes and maintains a connection with the server. Web browsers don't. Web browsers just go in, grab some info, and leave.

I've run into this very thing myself.

Noticed that some ftp "proper" clients will auto reconnect when booted out.

SookieSam

3. stustaff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks sookiesam, I knownthe guy whoset it up, anything I can ask him to do?