Problem using Gevey Ultra S with Italian carrier WIND

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by self, Jun 1, 2012.

1. self macrumors regular

My mother and sister just arrived in Italy and signed up for voice+internet with the Italian carrier WIND. Voice works, but they can't access the internet. The people at the WIND store say it's because their phones are jailbroken (which they are obviously, or they couldn't use WIND in the first place).

They are using the Gevey Ultra S GSM and their home network is AT&T. The sims were purchased a couple weeks ago from the ebay seller Battery-Juice, so they should be legit.

Some snippets of info say they need to edit their APN settings. But that isn't mentioned anywhere on AppleNBerry's site. And there is no option to edit the APN under Settings->General->Network. They already tried "Reset Network Settings".

Another weird thing is that it doesn't say WIND on the status bar, it says "ATT" for one phone and "AT&T" for the other. I don't suppose there's anyone out there actually using their AT&T iPhone 4S with the Gevey in Italy on WIND?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you need to edit the APN settings, buy TethereMe from Cydia to expose them.
    If you are lucky, a Google search might lead you to the correct settings.

By the way, an iPhone does not have to be jailbroken to use Gevey sim interposers, but it does to edit the APN settings

3. Stever71 macrumors newbie

You could try www.unlockit.co.nz or help.benm.at select the apn you want and install

4. self thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! They were able to find wifi and install TetherMe. After they entered the APN (internet.wind) they said they got a message about whether they wanted the sim to be unlocked, which they ignored. I'll let you know how it goes.

This page was also useful:
    http://wiki.apnchanger.org/Italy#Wind_2