Problem using iMovie share to iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mpb2000, Mar 24, 2010.

1. mpb2000 macrumors regular

I am trying to create a DVD of an iMovie project. I have taken the obvious route of using iLife '09 and selecting "Share -> iDVD." After a couple of hours of creating the .dvdproj file, iDVD opens with my new iMovie project, complete with all the chapters I set up in iMovie. Only one problem: the video looks terrible when previewed. The framerate appears to slow and I get pixelated artifacts constantly showing up in my video. When I navigate to the .dvdproj file in Finder, select it and Show Package Contents, and open the actual movie in Quicktime, the video looks fine; no slow down or artifacts. What is going on? It seems like Apple's two pieces of software should be able to communicate better than this. Thank you for the help everyone.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You have answered your question already. Preview is not the same view. Based on your description, everything appears to be working perfectly. Your "issue" is not one of poor communication. A viewer or player has one job--to play the content. iDVD and iDVD are editors. Their preview functions serve as aids to editing. It is not intended to duplicate the function of the DVD Player or the QuickTime Player. Resources devoted viewing are lost to editing and rendering to DVD.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I've also been concerned about the quality of the video in iDVD preveiw, but the finished DVD has always been OK.