Problem using 'Word' on Microsoft Office X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rpc1977, Dec 31, 2009.

1. rpc1977 macrumors newbie

I've used Word on Microsoft Office X for the first time today and I am having a problem with the font suddenly appearing bigger after typing space during a sentence. Upon opening the Font Options Box the size shows unchanged.
    This is very annoying and confusing!
    I don't know if it makes a difference, the fact I was typing my address at the top of a letter when this was happening, although I was not using a letter template.

PLEASE HELP!:confused:

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Let me see if I understand...

Are you saying that as you are typing along, everything looks fine, then suddenly, after a space, the font size increases like this?

If so, in the middle of typing a line, that's very strange.

However, once you've changed font sizes, placing your cursor next to the last character in either size will cause subsequent typing to be that same size.

That is, looking at what I've typed above, if you place your cursor after "strange." your font should be the larger size, but if you place it after "size." it should be the smaller size.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Select All ([cmd]+[a]) of the text on the page. While selected, change your font and type size to the value that you want.

4. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

I had similar problems with office x under OS 10.4...but now I am on 10.6 and using office 2008 with no problems (other than a bit of sluggishness). I'm not sure it'll help but what I did to solve my issues was to delete the plist from the library. Sort of acts like an application reset.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's where I was headed.

To the OP: that plist is called com.microsoft.word.prefs.plist
    In OS10.5.8 (what I have) it's found in Users/MyUserName/Library/Preferences/Microsoft

There is also a com.microsoft.word.plist in Users/MyUserName/Library/Preferences (just one "step up" in the first path)

However, I wouldn't recommend deleting those files first. Instead, drag them (or one at a time to see which one affects your Word, if either of them will) to your Desktop when Word is not running.
    Now, fire up Word. This should create a new plist file back where you got the first one from. It will have all default settings.
    If your problem is gone, then delete the file on your Desktop.
    If not, you can put that file back if you want, in case you changed a bunch of settings before. That will restore them in one step.
    Then we're back to searching for a different cause.

6. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

Thanks for elaborating for the OP. I hope it works out for him. It is pretty darned frustrating when your word processing app doesn't work right!