Problem w/Apple Pay

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Domino8282, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Has anyone else had issues getting Apple Pay to work with their watch? I tried using it at a Toys R Us and it kept saying "Hold Watch Near Reader." I whipped out my iPhone 6 and it paid immediately.

It's almost like the NFC signal is weaker on the watch or it has to be in a specific place to work. Is that possible? Anybody else have an issue?

2. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I noticed the signal is weaker but haven't had an issue paying with it. At Walgreens it's an instant purchase with my iPhone but with the watch I actually saw the blue LED lights progress as I moved the watch closer to the NFC reader.

You can see the LEDs in this image
    [​IMG]

3. SpenceMan01 macrumors member

The NFC on my Watch seems to be even stronger than on my phone (seems like I don't have to be as close for it to read). I had a similar issue to yours with my iPhone back in October. Apple Pay didn't work at all. I'd hold it up to readers at several different stores and it would never recognize that it was near one. I took it into the Apple Store and they determined it was a hardware issue; replaced it on the spot.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Defective NFC induction coil in the Watch maybe? Several people had this same hardware defect in their iPhone 6/6+ and had to swap them out.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

My wife and I each used our watches for Apple Pay this morning. Neither of us had any issues. Worked almost instantly.

/Jim

6. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Thanks guys, maybe it was a fluke or I was just holding it in the wrong place. Or maybe the sales associate hadn't pushed whatever button turns on the detection yet. I will keep trying and hopefully I don't have a defective NFC coil.

7. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Used it today and was as quick as on my iphone

8. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Still waiting on my watch, its preparing for shipment, do you have to double click the button every time?

With my iPhone I just hold it close and it works. Having to press the button seems odd and not good for one handed use.

9. myemosoul macrumors newbie

Passcode issues.

I haven't even been able to set up my Apple pay on my watch yet because it requires activating the pass code and when I activate the pass code the watch asks me to put the code in pretty much every time I lift my wrist which is HIGHLY annoying, according to the user manual it's only supposed to ask for the pass code when I take the watch off then put it back on or if I wear the watch very loosely. However, I feel that I'm wearing the watch quite tight and shouldn't be experiencing this issue.
    Hopefully this is just an early software glitch that will be resolved in a future update because at this point I just leave the pass code off and can't use Apple pay.
    Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Nope you only hit it once to put it in pay mode. You have to twist your arm (per the video) do it knows to transmit

11. segrobja macrumors regular

I had an issue at Whole Foods Friday night. Tried it, didnt work. Took out my 6+ and worked instantly.

12. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Twist your arm? Maybe that's what I was doing wrong... Will have to watch the video.

Edit: Which video are you talking about?

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I used it yesterday at the soda vending machine at work. Double taped the button, put the watch face near the sensor. Bingo.

14. Uccle macrumors regular

I tried it at Apple Store and it worked without a hitch. Then went to my grocery store. The first two attempts elicited a buzzer sound like a "wrong answer" buzz. Geeze...wouldn't a simple "try again" be more customer friendly/less embarrassing? :rolleyes:

Anyway I preservered and it worked. But I had my iPhone handy just in case.

15. tivoboy macrumors 68030

restup apple pay

Does one have to re-setup apple pay on the watch app? I thought having it setup on my iphone 6, with a couple credit cards, it would just work with THOSE cards automagically?

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Go to the watch page on apple.com under the guided tours there's one about apple pay

17. darkarw macrumors regular

You do have to set them all up again. I think it's because the cards have a different device number than the ones on your phone. Plus my wife has an iPhone 5 but she can use Apple Pay with her watch, so they are not mirrored from the phone.