Problem w/ desktop on macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brsboarder, Jun 12, 2007.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

So, I have a relatively new macbook 2ghz core 2 duo 1 gig ram. So, I'm having this problem where sometimes, I'll open a folder and all of the sudden the folder will disappear, the desktop will flash where I lose all the icons and then they will show up again and everything will be normal. This has happened several times over the past two days and I have tried resetting my permissions. Any ideas whats happening?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Hmm, that sounds a lot like Finder is relaunching itself. Try creating a new user account and using that for a while, to see if the same thing happens in the new account.

3. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there an actual explanation for this? I feel like creating a new account is avoiding the problem

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've actually never seen this before, but when I heard was happening, I thought it sounded a lot like Finder was relaunching itself. And creating a new user account is to see if the problem is systemwide or just in that one user account, it's not to avoid the problem, just to help with the troubleshooting process.

5. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Do you have StuffIt Deluxe installed ?

If so, the latest version 11.0.2 came with a bug in the contextual menu dialog (when you right-click a file, there is a stuffit option at the bottom). You need to proceed to StuffIt's website if this is the case and download the patch.

If you have not installed StuffIt Deluxe, then I dunno...

Check here for the update...

6. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

i did have stuff it deluxe, but it got removed and then I downloaded the free version, could something still be there?

7. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

The contextual menu plug-in will probably still be there, I forget exactly which "Library" it is in, but you'll find it in a folder that says "Contextual..." (I'm not on my mac right now so can't check).

Alternatively search your mac for a file called "StuffItCM.plugin" (.plugin might not be visible etc...) and that'll be the file. Delete it. Log out/restart to make sure it's no longer loaded, see if it helps ?

8. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Did my solution fix your problem, or is it not the cause ?

9. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, the problem is that its been happening sporadically, so I've done your fix and will use my computer today and see if it works, but so far so good! ::crosses fingers::

10. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

so far, so good! thanks a lot for your advice, I never would have thought about that