Problem w/ Mac-to-Mac ARD3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nave05, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Nave05 macrumors newbie

I have two macs...an iMac for home and a MacBook for abroad. My father sold me the MacBook and he had Apple Remote Desktop 3 Admin. installed on it, so i figured i would try remoting my iMac w/ my macbook. I enabled ARD sharing on my iMac, but my iMac wouldnt show up on the Scanning list. So i typed in the IP manually but it still wont let me control the iMac..it keeps saying "Connection Failed." I am on a wireless network, if it makes any difference. Does ARD client software need to be installed on the iMac as well? if not, what can i do? im not too savvy with the whole remote desktop thing, so any help would be appreciated.

2. Yoursh macrumors 6502

Need a little more info. How are you connecting to the imac? Is the macbook and imac on the same network(connected to the same router in the same house), or over the internet? Wireless shouldn't matter. If you are trying to connect over the internet, a router firewall may be blocking it from connecting. You have to open the port that ARD uses or it won't be able to connect.(Also called port forwarding)

Next I would say to manually update the client software by downloading it from the apple website ARD 3.2 client. Since you can select to allow ARD you should already have an older version on the imac. If your imac is running anything older then 10.3.9, it won't run the 3.0 client software. Only an older version like 2.x. Also make sure your Admin software is also fully updated.

I'd start with these and see if it helps. The apple support forum is also a good place to look. link Usuall you can find answers by looking through the older posts there.

3. Nave05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i am a college student, and i connect both of my computers to the internet through the college's wireless network. So i cant really change the settings of the network. How do i open the appropriate ports?

Both of the computers' ARD software are up to date, but it still isnt working.