Problem w/ new Displaylink/Thunderbolt port and Flash?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkirker, Mar 6, 2011.

1. jkirker macrumors newbie

Well, it's happened several times to me now where I'll have a Flash slideshow, Flash video or other Flash object running on an external monitor plugged into the mini-display port and the screen starts to shimmy which ultimately results in the cpu temp rising, fans going crazy and then a system lock.

A couple times it has recovered if I pulled the display link cable and it moved the Flash object to another screen but 5 out of 7 of the last freezes it's simply put me into a position where I had to hard-restart.

Kinda feeling like my old MS Windows days... ;(

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm trying to determine if I'm the only one and have a defective system, or, if this is a system issue.

Let me know if you too have the new MBP i7 2.3 and are experiencing anything similar.

Thanks,
    John

PS. Sys config: i7 2.3 / external monitor is a Dell 2001FP running at 1600x1200 - have not tested other resolutions to see if that has an impact.

2. jkirker thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got off the phone with Apple support and they confirmed that there is an issue with the current Flash drivers.

If you have this problem, you can do a workaround in Safari only by running Safari in 32-bit mode. Unfortunately there are no workarounds for Firefox or Chrome.

To run Safari in 32-bit mode, simply locate the app in the applications folder in Finder, right or ctrl-click on it, select "Get Info" and check "Open in 32-bit mode".

Later,
    John

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Thats strange, Flash worked for me on an ACD.

4. jkirker thread starter macrumors newbie