Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morgan Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Alright, I'm having a problem with the recent OS X update (10.10).

Each night, instead of shutting the computer down, I put it sleep instead. I do this because whenever I turn on the computer when powered down, the monitor 19/20 times doesn't turn on in conjunction with the processor, and I'm left with no vision. So I have to continually turn on/off the processor, until eventually the monitor will spark to life as well. This usually takes 30 minutes of effort.

Anyway, for the previous months, putting the computer to sleep has been a temporary solution to this problem, but now with the recent update to 10.10, several hours into sleep mode, the computer magically springs back to life for no apparent reason. It wakes from sleep mode, and returns to it about a minute later, only to wake immediately again. The noise of the processor powering on and off continually until I do something about it is frustrating. It is only until I make the effort of restarting the computer, and then putting it into sleep mode again will it stay in that mode, but only for another few hours until the problem arises again.

To sum up; since the OS update, my computer has an unusual habit of waking itself from sleep mode without my involvement several hours into it's state. It doesn't cease waking/sleeping until I restart the computer to buy more time.

I have checked that the computer is not set to wake at a certain time in the system preferences, nor wake when there is activity of any sort (Bluetooth, Internet, etc.). I don't know what's causing it. I want to solve this, because otherwise I'm left with the previous problem of shutting down my computer with each use, leaving me to contend with annoying 30-minute start-up times.

Morgan Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
It appears that the computer awakes automatically from sleep mode exactly eight hours since it was last powered on.

For example; if you power on the computer at 2pm and immediately put it to sleep, it will wake at 10pm.
If you put the computer to sleep at any time between 2-10pm, it would still wake automatically at 10pm.

mindlessmissy

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
discoveryd is probably the culprit ...

There is a thread on Insanelymac that seems to pinpoint the cause of the wake-ups to a service called discoveryd. It is needed for internet to function. However it is a new service in 10.10 to replace mdsnresponder so what they did to solve it was disable the new service and copied files from a previous installation that still had the mdsnresponder files and enabled that instead.
Read through the thread if you are interested:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300072-wake-reason-rtc-alarm-how-to-deactivate/page-2

It seems to solve the wakeups BUT a system update in future will obviously probably re-enable the discoveryd files ...

Morgan Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
There is a thread on Insanelymac that seems to pinpoint the cause of the wake-ups to a service called discoveryd. It is needed for internet to function. However it is a new service in 10.10 to replace mdsnresponder so what they did to solve it was disable the new service and copied files from a previous installation that still had the mdsnresponder files and enabled that instead.
Read through the thread if you are interested:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300072-wake-reason-rtc-alarm-how-to-deactivate/page-2

It seems to solve the wakeups BUT a system update in future will obviously probably re-enable the discoveryd files ...

Problem sorted. Cheers for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.