Problem waking up from sleep after replacing hard disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dave12345, Nov 23, 2008.

1. dave12345 macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

I just swapped the hard disk in my macbook pro - and reinstalled osx leopard. I'm getting the spinning beach ball after waking up from sleep and have to hold the power button and restart. Does anyone know what this is all about ? any ideas of how to fix this ?

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

may be that spotlight is just doing all its indexing, that and sleep has never been a perfected feature on macs

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Did you clone the drive or reinstall fresh?

EDIT: Please don't bump threads, especially after only an hour.

4. dave12345 thread starter macrumors regular

ah - sorry for the bump - I thought I had fixed it so made a post to say so but then it happened again. It was a fresh install

5. dave12345 thread starter macrumors regular

OK - The spinning wheel lasts about 5 mins but doesn't seem to happen when i've got my airport turned off before I send my MBP to sleep. Does anyone know what's going on ?

Cheers

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It seems as if there is a problem reconnecting to the airport? Have you checked all the settings/changed anything recently?

7. dave12345 thread starter macrumors regular

I can't work this out - I just fully reinstalled Leopard and reset my Airport Extreme - But still get the spinning wheel for at least 2 mins when waking up from sleep - I swapped out the hard disk - maybe its a faulty drive ?

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If all else fails, repair permissions. Have you tried that, and verifying the disk using disk utility?

Admittedly, this approach has the experience and knowledge of a monkey throwing its poo at the wall, but it may help. If you've got applecare on this machine or an another one, it may be the time put the tech tool deluxe drive in.

9. dave12345 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey - I tried repairing disk permissions which said the following:

Permissions differ on "System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.usbmuxd.plist", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
    Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26.

does anyone know what this means ?