[PROBLEM] What Is This Icon? - It Locks My Machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by landonveitch, Oct 31, 2009.

1. landonveitch macrumors newbie

Can someone tell me what the hell this icon is? The second it appears on the bar my entire computer locks up and I have to manually power it off and restart it in order to get my functionality of the laptop back. Can someone tell me the heck it is so I can turn it off cause its getting annoying whatever it is.

[​IMG]

In case you cant see it, its an upward pointing arrow and no matter what keyboard combinations I use I cant get rid of the damn thing and I cant bring up ****.

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Don't know what's causing it, but it's a Caps Lock symbol...

3. iPineApple macrumors newbie

Caps Lock Key

It is a Caps Lock icon, check your caps lock if it's on. If it's on, turn it off. If it's not gone click it when you're sure Caps Lock is off. If Caps Lock is off, turn it on. If it is still there, click it when Caps Lock is on. I'm not exactly sure what's causing it but I'm sure it's the caps lock key.

4. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Do you have any software such as 'Caps Warn' running?

5. kolax macrumors G3

Ironic a caps lock icon locks up your computer.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

It looks like an arrow with something below it, is there something below it? Do you have any peripherals attached at the time it does this? Is there anything in your startup items that looks unfamiliar? Does it happen when you're doing a particular thing or using particular software? Assuming whatever it is, is running all the time even if the icon isn't showing, can you command click that spot and drag it out?

7. landonveitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate the input. It is the Caps Lock key. I just notice that once it comes on that it locks the use of my mouse, cant use the keyboard nothing. i was beginning to wonder if it had something to do with my Photoshop CS3 cause I noticed that my Photoshop wont work with any of my plugins on Snow Leopard either and I have to uninstall and reinstall my CS3 and after using CS3 sometimes is when this happens.

Also wondered if it does not like my Logitech WAVE keyoboard and mouse. i only use it cause of all the shortcut keys on it and Logitech makes the Mac software for it but I use it all the time so for it to work 99% of the time and only lock up once in a while seems odd to me thats why I think it might have to do with my Photoshop

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Does your Logitech software have a special menu extra that shows on the taskbar?

Reason I ask is because I see this on the taskbar.

Attached Files:

9. lopoz macrumors regular

That looks like Little Snitch to me.. No idea on the issue btw...

10. landonveitch thread starter macrumors newbie

Lopoz was correct. I do have Little Snitch installed on my machine as well

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Is your keyboard and mouse the wireless version? If so, looking around on the net, I see that that keyboard doesn't have a caps lock or num lock light, reviews have made mention of there being Windows Gadgets that take the place of the indicator lights, are there Mac equivalents, like maybe a menu bar icon? Also, do you have the latest version of the Logitech Control Center software, as there was a version for Snow Leopard recently released? I think the keyboard software maybe the culprit.