Problem when burning avi to dvd

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rickenbeatle, Jun 18, 2011.

1. rickenbeatle macrumors newbie

When I try to burn an avi to a dvd, it takes up almost all the dvd space, but the file is only like a 1 GB. Does anyone know why it does this? Ideally, I was wanting to put a couple of movies on the disc.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

What are you using to burn it? If it's taking up the whole disk it must have been re-encoded to mpeg2 (to make it compatible with all players).

3. rickenbeatle thread starter macrumors newbie

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

First of, there are a lot of posts about this already. But it's ok, if you're not familiar with it, it's hard to find those posts.

Second, DVD players do not play .avi files. They only play MPEG-2 files. These files are bigger. Toast (I never worked with it) reencodes these files to MPEG-2 (like the guy before me said). So you probably need to search on google.

This is something I found (seems like a hassle though): http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=976

But you could, probably, select lower quality too, that will make the video file smaller too.

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Questions:
    1. Do you want to burn AVI files to a DVD-R disc for playback in a DVD player, or as AVI files for playback on a computer?
    2. What is the duration of these movies, individually and as a group?
    3. What are the file sizes of these AVI files, individually and as a group?
    4. What codec were the AVI files created with?
    5. What is the airspeed of a fully laden swallow?
    Finally, a gigabyte is an abstract number. Your file may be approximately a gigabyte, but it is not "like" a gigabyte.:rolleyes: