Problem when installing Backgrounder

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MacChinoNyc, Dec 30, 2009.

1. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

So far two times when I install Backgrounder, it asks me to reboot. In the process of rebooting it goes into "plug into itunes mode" with the picture on the screen and does nothing. I then start itunes and it tells me iphone is in recovery mode and must restore. I then restore and start all over again with the jailbreak. Anyone know why this is happening?

2. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

The problem is not with Backgrounder. The problem is that you have a tethered jailbreak meaning that you have one of the newer iPhone 3GS's or iPod Touch 3rd Generation.

Every time you let your device run out of battery or you restart it, it will always ask for you to connect to iTunes. So basically, you have to jailbreak every time that happens. At the moment there is no workaround/fix for it, that's just the way it is now.

3. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you sure? I used blackra1n and I'm running 3.1.2.
    Only happens when installing Backgrounder and asks me to reboot.
    Are you saying any app that asks to reboot will do this asking to connect to itunes?

4. tony710 macrumors member

Not just when installing an application ANY time the phone shuts off (dead battery, crash, whatever)

Instead of connecting to iTunes just connect it to your Mac/PC and run Blackra1n again. It will rejailbreak your phone, there is no need to restore. Once Blackra1n has rebooted your phone the app will be installed

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Please read up on tethered jailbreaks here. It should answer all your questions.

6. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys , good read. So all I had to do was connect my iPhone to a pc and just run blackrain and all my apps would remain the same. I didn't need to restore and basically wipe everything out?

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes.