Problem when re-install Lion on MacBook Air 2011.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iWind130290, Sep 1, 2011.

1. iWind130290 macrumors member

Hi everybody. I'm a new Mac-er. I need help to re-install Lion on my new MacBook Air. I've researched so mush before creating this thread. So I hope that someone can help me to resolve my problem. And here it is:
    I used RecoveryHD to re-install Lion but the system displayed a report like this: "This version of Mac OS X 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer."
    Thank you for all of your ideas.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If you slipstreamed Lion from a the retail version on the app store, or from anywhere else this can not be installed on a MacBook Air.

You have to download the entire OS via the recovery manager / partition as the version it downloads is specific o the MacBook Airs.

If you have done the above, try redid loading again. If all else fails go onto Apples support page and download the recovery manager software and try doing it again.

If still no joy - back to Apple I'm afraid.

3. iWind130290 thread starter macrumors member

My "MarBook Air 2011" already had Lion OS X and RecoveryHD when I bought it. I used the RecoveryHD to re-install so I think that the Lion in my MacBook Air is not a retail version. And now if I download the entire OS via the recovery manager which is specific for MacBook Air. I wonder that If I've to pay for Lion again?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You won't have to pay again. Hold Cmd-R on startup to boot into it's Recovery Partition, click through the Installer, and you should be good. If that doesn't work, then call Apple's support line, and they should be able to send you a USB install drive instead (other users have had similar problems, it is after all a brand new feature).

jW