Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laresistance2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hello,
I have a problem when I reinstalling my Mac OS X Leopard.
It display this error message:

It is impossible to install Mac OS X on "Macintosh HD" because the disc can not be used to boot your computer.

Can you tell me what I should do to solve this problem.
Thank you.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Do you want to erase the contents of the Macintosh HD? Or did you do it already?
And do you mean Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard? Because 10.5 will either do a Erase and Install or Archive and Install, but 10.6 allows you to do neither of them and just repairs a wonky OS via a simple reinstallation.

And have you looked at Disk Utility and seen, how Macintosh HD is formatted and what partition scheme it uses?
The following links should help you finding that out:

Nov 28, 2010
located
I have Mac OS X Snow Leopard version 10.6.8

What about the other questions?
Do you want to create a Clean Install?
Is the HDD formatted correctly?
To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yes I want to reinstall a clean install.

Then have you followed all the steps the two guides I linked to about "Clean Install" provided?

I do not know if the disk is formatted...
Open Disk Utility via the Install DVD and look for PARTITION MAP SCHEME:
2011_12_04_pA1_DU_GUID.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.