Problem while installing System 7 on a Macintosh Classic.

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Katakefalos, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Katakefalos macrumors newbie

Katakefalos

Well i have aMacintosh Classic running 6.0.7 Greek Os.Found original System 7.0 diskettes and while i was installing the system after 3rd diskette it ask me to insert the fonts diskette.Then there was an error "Fonts have the correct name but is not the correct disc"
    I abort there because there was nothing else to do and now the System 7 is installed party but the most bad thing is that all systems fonts are broken and i cant read the names at folders.
    Is there any solution to my problem or is there any other way to make clean install from the beginning to my lovely Macintosh Classic?
    Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

If they are original disks, turn them over, and check what they actually are.

You should see a 690-xxxx number and the system version above it.

IE, US System 7.0.0 would be "7.0" (iirc)

An international English System 7.0.1 would be "Z-7.0.1"

Also check the color of the Apple logo on the label on the front. System 6 & 7.0.x was the rainbow logo, and 7.1 was a black Apple logo.

3. Katakefalos, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

Katakefalos thread starter macrumors newbie

Katakefalos

Well thank you for your reply.The discs are 690-5685-a Version 7.0 and they do have colorful apple logo.

Attached Files:

4. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

OK, you can still get a .smi (Self Mounting Image) of a set of US 7.0 800K disks from Apple.

It might be worth looking at the disk's contents to see what's on it (or in the trash too), as you might just be able to delete files that are not part of the fonts or move a relevant file back to the disk's root directory.

You should have 11 "font suitcases", being:

Athens, Cairo, Courier, Helvetica, London, Los Angeles, Palatino, San Francisco, Symbol, Times, Venice

It's possible that somebody has taken the fonts out of their "suitcases" in which case you'll need to make a new copy of the fonts disk.

Failing that, use the link to get the 7.0 smi direct from Apple.

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl.../Older_System/System_7.0.x/System_7.0.smi.bin

Your full disk set contents and 690-xxxx numbers are described here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA30231?viewlocale=en_US

5. Katakefalos thread starter macrumors newbie

Katakefalos

Thank you very much for your help.
    If i understand correct i must check what is inside the "Fonts disc"
    Then i must see what is inside systems fonts suitcase.Here there is a problem because i cant read what is the folders name but i will manage.I checked it before.
    I will be out for a week or so and when ill come back i will try do the things that you told me and let you know.:)

6. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Correct

Incorrect. The Font Disk contains Font Suitcase files. 11 of them. If the installer is balking on the Font Disk, then either the expected files are not there or the Font Suitcases on the Font Disk have been altered. That's all - no real problem. :)

7. Katakefalos thread starter macrumors newbie

Katakefalos

8. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

I seem to recall certain fonts being installed in the ROM (Chicago at least). You may be able to switch to one of them as a limp until you can make a healthy fonts disc.

Suddenly feeling nostalgic!

9. Katakefalos thread starter macrumors newbie

Katakefalos

Hi MacTech68
    you are right.The suitcase has 10 fonts suitcases.Palatino is missing.Now my problem is how i will make a new diskette with the right fonts inside.
    I have an imac G3 and an external floppy reader but it doesn't work at all.Maybe its for a PC (i borrowed from a friend).

10. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Sadly, a PC floppy drive isn't going to be able to write an 800K Mac Floppy, nor is a USB floppy drive (without expensive translator hardware).

I would suggest putting the "Fonts" disk into the MacClassic and checking on the screen and in the trash for the missing Palatino. If it's there, drag it back onto the Floppy disk icon.

Otherwise, try this:

1. Format a HD floppy on the G3 iMac as HFS Standard.

2. Copy the contents of the "Fonts" disk image from the download I previously linked to, onto this newly formatted HD disk.

3. Put that new HD floppy in the Mac Classic, and drag the contents (from step 2) onto the internal hard disk.

4. Put the original 800K (DD) Fonts disk into the Mac Classic and copy the 11 font suitcases (from step 3) from the Hard Disk onto the 800K Fonts disk, replacing the existing ones.

I hope that makes sense.

11. Katakefalos, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

Katakefalos

How about going tomorrow and search at stores for a compatible external usb floppy drive?
    I think i will always have a need of this to transfer and install programs from Internet to my Classic.
    If i will find something like this i will try to make a new floppy with fonts and install System 7.0 from the beginning using my iMac G3 (os 9)

I will let you know.

Edit.
    Found a pc with 1.44 diskette.Download some apps but still cant create a diskette for mac.
    EDIT No.2

found and download System 7.0.1 at .img parts.Then i used my sisters PC and with WinImage made new diskettes.
    Is it good to install this system?

EDIT No3.
    This doesn't seem to work.Maybe the files are broken.
    How can i make a copy of System 7.0 .smi.bin that you gave me using a PC with diskette drive?

12. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

You can't make 800K (DD) floppies on a PC nor a USB Floppy drive - they don't make USB floppy drives that can do it on Mac OR PC.

You can use 1.44MB floppy disks on a USB Floppy drive on your OS9 iMac. You should then be able to transfer the fonts to the Mac Classic, then to the 800K floppy disk

NOTE: The Mac Classic can read & write 800K (DD) and 1.44MB (HD) floppies. Your USB Floppy can only read & write 1.44MB floppies.

13. Katakefalos thread starter macrumors newbie

Katakefalos

It was my mistake from the beginning that bought original System 7.0 in diskettes rather buying a ready HD with System 7.0 installed ready for use.

It seems that the diskettes that i made(System 7.0.1/WinImage) can recognized from Classic stated to install system 7.0.1 but gave me error in the first diskette.

So you suggest me to buy an external usb floppy drive and use it to my iMac G3 Os 9 preparing new diskettes from the file that you send me.

14. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

If your iMac is running well and can be connected to the internet, I think it will be a simpler experience now and in the future, so yes.

The USB floppy drive on the iMac may need a driver. What MacOS version is the iMac running, and what make/model is the floppy drive you borrowed?

15. Katakefalos, Jan 12, 2014

Katakefalos

My external usb floppy drive is a NEC UF0001 model.I searched and cant find any drivers for mac.

The iMac G3 is in perfect condition running 9.0.4 Os.I don't know if it is possible to connect it to internet.I can check it out.
    EDIT
    Yes have internet also.

16. MacTech68, Jan 12, 2014

MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Looks like the NEC isn't directly supported.

I know the Teac model FD-05PUB should work with Apple's built in driver. They ship as Teac, Dell and HP, but must bear the "Teac FD-05PUB" model number.

EDIT: You should also be able to use a Yano Electric model YD-8U10, YD-8U12 or YD-8U14, which were sold as Acer, VST, Iomega and others.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A set of six 7.0.1 disks made using WinImage should work; I've done this myself. What did you use to extract the images out of the .smi file? What's the text of the error message?

18. Katakefalos, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

Katakefalos

Hi Nernal
    I found the system from this link http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2011-12-29-disk-from-images-mac.htm

It was zip and i unzip it at my Mac Os x MacBook Pro.Then i transferred with usb stick to PC and wrote the diskettes.
    Maybe there was a problem because of this.I don't remember the exact error but it was on the first install disc.
    EDIT
    Well, there is not even one possibility to find an external USB floppy drive compatible in my country:(

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

At this point I'm starting to grasp at straws (the exact text of the error message would really help) but I'd try making a new 7.0 Fonts disk via the trial of TransMac.

1. Boot your Classic with Cmd-Opt-O-X held down to get to a desktop with working fonts.
    2. Format a 1.44 MB disk.
    3. Get the 7.0 Fonts image onto your PC somehow (I can supply it in a zip if you need it).
    4. Download Disk Copy 4.2 to your PC.
    5. Put your Mac-formatted 1.44 MB disk into the PC and use TransMac to copy the Fonts image and Disk Copy app onto it.
    6. Put the disk back in the Classic and you should be able to double-click the Disk Copy archive to extract it. Copy the app and Fonts image to the hard drive, then eject the disk.
    7. Use Disk Copy to make a new 800 KB Fonts disk.

20. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Does the installer let you deselect the fonts, and deal with it later?

Look at the customize settings, and install as little as possible so you can get going. Then just install the fonts on the disk by dragging them in.

21. Katakefalos, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014

Katakefalos

Thank you very much Nermal.
    If you can provide the fonts to me i will be very happy beacause i have all the system 7.0 downloaded in .smi file and cant unzip it with my MacBookPro to take only the image with the fonts.
    Νow im at step 2 and keep going.
    Thank you very much again.:)

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've attached the Fonts disk to this post. You'll need to unzip it on your PC, and then copy the resulting .image file to the floppy disk using TransMac.

Attached Files:

23. Katakefalos thread starter macrumors newbie

Katakefalos

24. Katakefalos thread starter macrumors newbie

Katakefalos

Made it.

I own a very loud thank you to all of you.:):):)

25. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

Congratulations, Katakefalos.

And thanks to Nermal for succeeding where I failed. :)

Sadly, I'm not too well versed in using Windows to create Mac floppies. :eek: