Problem whit macbook pro gaming on external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrEnirO, Feb 7, 2008.

1. MrEnirO macrumors newbie

Hi people,
    I have a problem whit my macbook pro,
    When i plug an external monitor, close the lid, wake up macbook, and try to run any game, the external screen goes black, and nothing happens.
    If i leave the lid open, then games run OK, but i don`t need 2 screens.
    Did some one have same problem? Is there any cure for this?

By the way, is there a way to wake up macbook`s monitor after i close the lid, and it turns off? I tried everything i could think of and nothing did the trick.

O! and one more thing, when i am not listening to music and even when i have speakers turned off, my macbook pro produce`s strange sound, a "bulb" or something like this, it comes out of the top-left corner of the macbook, its weary annoying when you are sitting in silents trying to read. What could be producing such sound?

2. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

You can operate your MBP in clamshell by closing the lid and then waking it up with your remote or a usb keyboard. Then you can play games with just the one screen however, playing with it open is fine, the native display simply turns black.
    As for the sound, what do you mean by 'bulb'? Where specifically is it coming from? Internal components? out of the speakers? does it sound like a buzz/hum/scratching sound? Does the sound change when your doing different things?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like you are in Mirror mode, check System Preferences / Displays for your settings.

4. MrEnirO thread starter macrumors newbie

The sound doest sound like buzz, hum or scratching. I dont know how to describe it. It comes from some where near the Power adapter connection slot. It doest sound like coolers, processor, hdd, or disk drive.
    I managed to save the sound whit built-in mic(+camera), here is the link, you need to turn volume maximum, its weary quiet.
    Code:
    http://www.antee.org/stas_files/strange_sound.3gp
    Thanks Man, i was in Mirror mode, turned it off, and now it works, i can play games. yeeehaaa... :p

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Good that you figured out the mirror mode.

The sound doesn't seem normal. Maybe it's an app? If not, I would contact Apple Care.

6. barijazz macrumors 6502

That sounds kind of disgusting, like a popping bubble of sludge.

7. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Sounds like transformer hum, although it's difficult to to tell from the vid. Is it actually coming from the laptop or the mains adapter? I wouldn't have thought the magsafe would produce those sounds, even if it wasn't seated correctly. If you have access to another mains adapter, try that and see if that alleviates the problem.

8. MrEnirO thread starter macrumors newbie

It`s not an app 100%, when i turn the sound off, i still hear it.
    It comes out of notebook, i can some times hear it when i am at university.