Problem with 13" MBP external monitor, DVI adapter or maybe computer itself?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M0esmac, May 17, 2013.

1. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

So, I created this thread because I tough that my adapter is faulty, or a cable. I didn't see that last time, but I got this today.

I was watching TV show on my external screen and I connected external hard drive to USB. My external screen immediately turns black. I re-connect the external display - same thing. I pull the USB out - everything works as it has before - I'm watching a TV show on a external screen... That means once I connect USB external hard drive - it just blocks the MiniDisplay port or something like that? By the way, I tried both USB's - same s***. Also, If I connect my speakers with 3.5mm jack, external monitor turns itself black for a few seconds and it gets back after few seconds. Doesn't block it like USB hard drive does.

Anyone, any ideas what is the problem? :/

2. ColdCase, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

I wonder if there is a shielding/cable/ground path problem, but try a SMC/PMU reset first. The USB drive may be drawing enough power to upset the power manager.

Do all USB devices bring down the display port of just that USB drive and cable? Can the the drive be powered by a brick?

3. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

It is 3,5" External HDD and it is powered by a brick.

I tried connecting PS3 controller - no problems with it. Charges as it should.

4. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac