Problem with 2.4ghz macbook keyboard lighting up.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CeeeJayy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. CeeeJayy macrumors newbie

I'v had my 2.4ghz macbook for a just about a month now, and everything has been fine. Today I noticed that my keyboard wasn't lit up, so i go to turn up the brightness and the icon pops up but it's not adjusting, and the keyboard stays dim.

I am wondering if this is a software or a hardware issue, and if there is something i can do to fix it.

Thanks.

2. martynjd macrumors member

its cause it works of a sensor, put your finger over the i sight and it should light up, you must be trying to use it in the day, where there is no need

3. CeeeJayy thread starter macrumors newbie

It's working again. I guess I just have never used it in a well lit place until now.
    I'm just too used to it being on. haha.

Thanks for the help.

4. martynjd macrumors member

5. Teo Meo macrumors newbie

Hi. Almost the same problem. I've had the new MB 2.4GHz for 2 days and I've noticed that if I turn down all the lights in the room, the backlit keyboard won't "wake itself" automatically, have to do it by hand. The same, if I turn on the lights, have to dim the keyboard light manually till it switches off.

On my previous MacBook Pro (which I;ve owned for almost 2 years) the keyboard lights worked perfectly. I've tried cleaning the new MB's light sensor, next to the iSight, but still the keyboard illumination won't work automatically.

Has anybody else encountered this issue? Do you have an email address from Apple to tell them about it? Thank you very much.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Not wanting to sound like a dumba$$, but

I called apple care about it, and they explained that besides the dim/brighten buttons for the screen, there were brighten and dim buttons for the keypad further left on the function keys.

Boy, was I embarassed! I'm sure that's not what it is. And if it is, you don't have to admit it.:D

7. Teo Meo macrumors newbie

To Apple care: Helloooo?! I know there are separate buttons for the screen dim/brighten and keyboard (F1/F2 and F5/F6)! What I don't know why the light sensor doesn't light up/dim the illuminated keyboard automatically according to light conditions (dark/day light). Hmmm.....

8. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

If this is a serious issue for you and you're not being sarcastic...I suggest going into your system preferences > keyboard and mouse section and clicking the box in the keyboard settings to "Illuminate Keyboard in Low Light Conditions" check box.

9. ryanfong macrumors member

You must uncheck the option in system preference.

Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard, select the option "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions".

You are free to go now..:) the backlit will turn on and off automatically..

10. Teo Meo macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip - also thx to ryanfong! I already had that box checked in system preferences, knew this tip from my old MBP. Now I realized why it didn't work: in my room, the sources of light were placed next to the MacBook, so the light didn;t fall straight on the sensor. I've tried bringing the lamps closer to the screen and it works now :) Have a great week-end!

11. ryanfong macrumors member

Glad you got it sorted..nice weekend dude..

12. iDowning macrumors newbie

attack of the toddler.

Okay, I've gone through all the obvious steps outlined above and no luck.

I'm using a 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro.

My son smacked some keys on the keyboard and all of a sudden the keyboard no longer illuminates, period. I went into system preferences > keyboard & mouse > keyboard, selected "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions" but still it won't turn on.

When I try to adjust the brightness settings using F5 or F6, it displays the adjustment window, but always shows that the brightness as off. It also has a circle with a line through it, like it's locked off or something.

Any ideas? I've tried searching through the Apple troubleshooting page but can't find anything related to this problem.

13. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Hmmm...maybe he disconnected a wire or something on the internals. Try holding your finger on the light sensor up near the isight camera and see if the keyboard starts up.

14. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Try a reboot

15. Clancycoop macrumors member

Program to Help

I haven't read everyone's posts, so sorry if this is a repost, but download Lab Tick to set your lighting to stay on all the time. Just install it , and set it to disable automatic changing.

Download here:
    http://labtick.proculo.de/

16. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic