Problem with 2009 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Madvillain21, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Madvillain21, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

Madvillain21 macrumors newbie

Hi, let me get right into it, when I turn on my Macbook I instantly receive a light blue (color I chose in preferences) screen with no dock and the only thing I have access to is the Apple icon in the top left corner along with the access to options that go with the applications that automatically start when I boot like iTunes but I immediately get window saying they have to close. I'm fairly certain this has to do my absolutely full hard drive. I usually am running on 160 megabytes of memory which quickly turns to zero when I open Safari. I can't do anything besides open up recent applications and Finder isn't one of them or else I would delete some stuff. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

BTW I'm using Snow Leopard

2. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Having a full hard drive can be a bad thing and your Mac (or PC) can behave odd as a result....you should always try to maintain at least 10% of the drive to be free space....

So, first thing I'd do is try and delete files you don't need...for example, any program installer files you downloaded, and other non-needed files, etc...

If you can't delete enough files to do this, delete a few programs you don't need for right now....

Aim for the 10% free space I mentioned above....

Then reboot Mac and see how your Mac behaves then...

If you can't get to 10% free space by this method, then either buy a larger HD and put it in an external enclosure (or buy it inside one already...) or swap your HD for a larger one and use your old one as the external drive...you can use one of the drive cloning programs to copy over your entire drive....

If Mac works OK after the above, then good....if not, then you have other problem...but I'd start with this....