Problem with 2409w displaying 1920x1080 in mirrored mode

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scubasteve03, Apr 3, 2009.

1. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

I have looked all over and have not been able to find an answer to my problem. I have a 2.4 Alu MB hooked up to a Dell 2409w"native res is 1920x1080." I am able to display the native res on the dell when using it as an extended desktop, but not mirrored mode. It displays some crazy 1600x900 in mirrored mode. It has 2 black bars on both sides of the dell monitor about 2 inches on both sides. It is hooked up via mini displayport to dvi. I have not tried using HDMI yet.
    I know the macbook is capable of displaying 1920x1080 because it works with the extended desktop mode perfectly with no black bars on the sides. Let me know what you guys think. I am probably missing something stupid. I will post pctures tomorrow if that helps. Thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not at my Mac to check this, but I thought mirrored mode did just that and mirrored two screens perfectly. There for you cannot have one resolution on one screen and another resolution on another.

3. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

Inside the display pull-down menu in the taskbar it gives you the option for what resolution you want for each display connected. It gives me the option for 1920x1080 for the dell, but it will not display it on the monitor. It always refreshes to the wierd 4:3res.

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

In order to mirror at "full hd" res (1920x1080) like you're talking about, your macbook would have to be able to display that on it's own LCD by default...which it's screen is certainly not capable of.

Therefore, you are simply out of luck.

5. MacBook.Matt macrumors regular

So what you are saying is that it is unwise to buy a display that offers a resolution higher than 1280 x 800 or else you will suffer from dead space on the screen, or can monitors that offer full HD have their settings changed to work properly?

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Just set the displays to extended desktop mode and set the big 'un as the primary display. I don't see the problem.

7. scubasteve03 thread starter macrumors regular

I have finally found a way to do it! Here is some important information I learned when I called Apple support. I set my display to mirrored mode and close my MacBook. When you hear it go to sleep you can plug any USB device in such as a mouse, thumbdrive or external hard drive and it will wake the MacBook up. The macbook display will stay asleep, but the external will display the 1920x1080 perfectly with no black bars on the side.
    To the guy who said that you "simply can't do it" you are mistaken. Even the specs on the apple website says that it is capable of displaying up to 1920x1200. I wouldnt have spent that much money on an external diaplay if it could not display its native res. That is the resolution of the new Apple LED display. It's amazing how much power this little guy has.
    One more thing, where is the option to set the 24" as the primary display? The only option I see is "Display Mirrored Mode." So far I have only been able to use the MB as the primary. When I check fullscreen in Quicktime, it always moves the movie back to the MB.
    P.S. Right now you can get the 2409w from dells website for $100 off. It is normally $300. It was around $230 with tax and free shipping. It's a great monitor for a TN panel. It has a very wide viewing angle and oustanding color saturation. It's a great match for the MacBook.
    G

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You're not understanding how multiple displays work.

Mirrored mode means the two displays are mirrored exactly. Therefore, the second display cannot have a resolution larger than the display its mirroring, otherwise it would not be mirrored.

Extended desktop mode with the external as the primary display is what it seems you want. Then you can run it at its native resolution, which the Macbook is obviously capable of. To set it as the primary display, just go into the Display preferences and drag the menu bar graphic over to it. As it recall it shows you with numbers what display is what. This is what is happening when you shut the lid on the Macbook with the display connected - it's being set as the primary display.