Problem with 5 day old imac, weird screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by abbysmommy24, May 8, 2008.

1. abbysmommy24 macrumors newbie

I bought my imac 5 days ago. I'm very experienced with macs and computers in general, but so far this one has had a strange screen problem, and freezing up problems. I am a photographer and use aperture and photoshop, and at least once a day, the computer has frozen completely during one of those programs and required a restart.

So, today I walked in after the computer had been asleep for the afternoon, and when I woke it up from the sleep, I got this--- and I couldn't do anything but restart. I'm very disappointed, I feel like I should just take it back. Any suggestions as to what caused this weird screen? I paid so much money for this computer and already it's having problems. Please help! Any advice is appreciated.

this is a full screen, the close up of the left, and close up of right. (and the rolling beach ball in the middle of the screen, that changed to the arrow shortly, but still wouldn't allow me to restart. I had no images or programs working when it did this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Take it back and get a replacement. The Apple Store should just replace it for you if you show them the pictures you posted here (of course, if you can't replicate the issue for them).

3. abbysmommy24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bigandy,
    I just spoke to the store on the phone where I bought it. (Apple store in vegas) and they said to bring it in to the genius bar. I'll be sure to print out the pictures so they can see what it's doing. What do you think is causing that?

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

My guess would be a bad logic board. Are you using stock Apple RAM or did you add some?

They'll likely just replace it for you since it is brand new.

5. abbysmommy24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using the RAM that came in it, 2g. I have some other RAM I had planned on adding. I'm going to insist tomorrow that they replace it. I did get apple care, but that doesn't matter, I don't want to be dealing with a computer with chronic problems. Thanks for your input.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well, I was just asking about the RAM to rule it out as a possible culprit. There is definitely something wrong with your machine and I'm sure it will be a speedy replacement.

Best of luck.