Problem with a casing crack on 2006 macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by taylor42, Jul 12, 2008.

1. taylor42 macrumors newbie

Woohoo, first post. But on to the important stuff!

So, I got a macbook for a present for Christmas 2006. It's been great, but about three months ago a hairline fracture appeared in the right bottom corner. at first I thought it was cosmetic, but it grew a little and since then I've kept it in place with scotch tape. This is fine for now, but I'm worried if it will affect anything later.

I really want to get at least the lower casing replaced, but I'm out of warranty, and I really do not want to have to spend $400. This macbook has been treated impeccably, and rarely leaves my desk. It has never to my knowledge been dropped and whenever I do take it out I put it in a travel case.

I've done a little bit of googling and it looks like the problem isn't so uncommon. We moved out to the sticks and the nearest apple store is 2+ hours away. I also don't want to get charged unreasonably for calling customer support. Is there anything I can do about this?

There's also some slight discoloring on the trackpad, if anyone cares.

Pic spam:
    [​IMG]
    the fracture

[​IMG]
    close-up

[​IMG]
    my desk

[​IMG]
    carrying case

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Go to an apple store. While mine was replaced under warranty, several posters have stated that apple will fix it even out of warranty because it is a known issue that sometimes occurs. Good luck.

3. milenkod macrumors member

Oh SNAP!!! My 2.0Ghz looks identical to that...same place same fracture and it just happened 2 weeks ago...going to call the store tomorrow.

4. Matek macrumors 6502a

It's a very well known problem, a whole bunch of topics about it, it really wouldn't hurt to search before you post :p.

Anyway, like Richdmoore said - you can try asking at the apple store. Some people got theirs replaced, although they're out of warranty. I didn't.

5. taylor42 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand your frustration, but I was actually fairly aware it's a well-known problem. (I know how to do my research :p) I suppose I should clarify! Mea culpa.

I live two hours from the nearest apple store, as mentioned above. I can't drive. (Even IF they have the parts at the store and can fix it while I'm there it's still a four-hour round trip, which is difficult to schedule.) Is there any other way to get in contact with Apple so that I can ship my baby off to get fixed? I searched their website and the only email addresses I could find were for iTunes customer support and software issues. They had some telephone numbers but I'm out of the timeframe for free calls. I would rather not be charged god knows how much unless I'm positive that the guy on the phone can do something about it.

So. Anyone else with this problem who has lived out in the sticks and fixed it? Just about everything I've found on google mentions an apple store. That's not really an option, unfortunately :(