Problem with a key on my keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mach42006, Sep 11, 2008.

1. mach42006 macrumors member

I purchased my MBP a little less than a year ago, and recently I'm having problems with one of the keys on the keyboard...the 'I' key to be exact. I have never spilled anything, liquids or otherwise, on my keyboard. I have to press the 'I' key considerably harder for it to register, and it feels kind of spongy. There's not a definite 'press' to it as there is with the other keys.

It's such a minor problem, but it is really annoying. It only noticed it a month or so ago. I'll be sitting in lecture taking notes or something, and then I look at my screen and realize that 3/4 of my I's didn't show up. Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone dealt with minor keyboard repairs? Is it something I should try myself? I don't want to try to pop the key off to look at it unless someone could offer instructions to do it safely. Or should I just take it to the Apple store? I do have the warranty. I know it seems like a really picky issue, but it's very annoying trying to type quickly with an unresponsive key. So any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I suggest taking it to the Apple Store.If you still have the warranty why not use it?;)

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Havng dffcultes typng a vowel = major problem.

I agree with bringing it to an Apple Store. See if they can fix it on the spot, if not see if they can replace it right there since you need it for classes.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Make appointment with Genius Bar at apple store.

I got my MBP keyboard replaced last month.

5. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

I had a similar problem with the F key that turned out to be a crumb underneath the key stopping the mechanism working properly.

I removed the key to get the crumb out and I did that as follows. It's tricky and the key scissor mechanism is fairly fragile so if you do have a go, be very careful and don't try and force anything too much.

1)Get a very small screwdriver, a paperclip and a torch.

2)Place the torch to the left or right of the keyboard shining towards the keyboard to get a little light under the keys.

3)Place the end of the screwdriver under the top edge of the key in question and very gently prize upwards so you can just about see under the key.

4)The key has a scissor mechanism underneath, much like a letter 'x' at each side of the key. With the paperclip, while still gently prizing up with the screwdriver, push in towards the centre of the key just above the attachment of one of the top parts of the scissor. With a little bit of tinkering the leg will become disengaged

5)Disengage the other top leg (much easier once the first one is done) and slide the key down to get the bottom two legs out of their holder.

6)Remove the grit underneath if there is any.

7)Replace the key into its clips. I recommend using the paperclip between the scissor mechanism to stop it collapsing as you try to replace it. Also, go in at an angle: get one top leg in it's clip, rotate to get the bottom legs in their clip and snap the other top leg in place.

This worked for me very nicely, but there is a risk of breaking the legs if you get too rough, so be cautious if you do have a go.