problem with a wireless network/airport

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brie817, Feb 22, 2011.

1. brie817 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is where I should post this, but... I have a netgear wireless router that was previously run through an ethernet cable into an older g4 and I used the wireless dongle on a pc in another room. I switched the positions so that now the ethernet runs through the pc and I plugged the dongle into a newer (used) g5 (not intel) running mac osx 10.5.8. I can't seem to get it up on the internet. I downloaded a driver from netgear and the machine recognizes the dongle and says its connected, but airport won't recognize the network and it is greyed out in the network prefs. I tried updating the firmware, but no dice. I should mention that the g5 had the hard drive replaced last year, would that make a difference? I dunno, after hours of searching online, I'm beginning to lose hope! I should mention that I just realized under the system profiler, it lists the airport card, but when I click on it, it says "no information found". Perhaps I need to purchase a new card?

2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Hard drive being replaced doesn't make a difference. Mainly because the install disc's restore all data that the hard drive should have on it for OS X and any other version. Have you considered upgrading routers to an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule? I know it's probably not the answer you want but when I switched Mac I got an A Extreme and life has been smooth sailing. I also have 4 other PC's in my office and they run just fine on the network as well. Could just be a faulty router.

3. brie817 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the router is fine, it is also running an xbox wirelessly. Do I have to use airport to connect wirelessly? in my network prefs, the usb dongle appears to show up as some kind of ethernet connection and it says its connected, but i can't get online?