Problem with Accounts in 10.3.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kunze50, Dec 27, 2008.

1. kunze50 macrumors regular

I recently got a G4 iMac that came with panther and a set admin account. So I tried changing the short name and computer name by using an app called change short name. After using this the computer name remained the same so I created a new account and used netinfo to try and change the computer name. The result after a logout caused me to lose privileges as an admin. The account is now a standard account and I cannot authenticate anything, as it does not accept the user name and password. The computer came with Panther and no Panther disk, although the first version of Mac OS X I have. Is there any way to make the standard account an Admin without the disk?

2. MacTech68, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

After using "Change Short Username" all you needed to do was to go into "System Preferences" --> "Sharing" and change the computer name there.

Be careful with the following tips. Make sure you type things exactly as they are, including spaces and upper/lowercase.

You might try going back to your last backup of the NetInfo database using the following tip (hopefully the machine has done a backup recently which occurs in the early hours of the day):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2600

Use the steps in section "II", "Restoring from backup" after following the first steps in section "I".

If after a reboot if you still have trouble, you might also want to try making sure your user is a member of the group "admin" using the following tip:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=121786

Otherwise you'll have to use the steps in section "III". "Restoring from defaults".

Good luck!

:)

3. kunze50 thread starter macrumors regular

ok, thanks for the help, I tried everything twice. nothing has fixed this. I also tried to restore to defaults as instructed in, III. I get to the line... AppleSetupDone and it asks a question to rewrite. I'v tried nothing and the command, "yes".

4. MacTech68, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Ahh.. the AppleSetupDone file just lets the system know that the first run after a system install has been completed so you should be able to skip that.

If it still isn't working, then your netinfo database is probably in a bad way, and the backup is old, may not exist or doesn't contain information on the current user layout.

You really need a set of install disks from at least 10.3.9.

Or, lastly try these tips:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=8681433#8681433

There probably is a way to resurrect this OS, but it's pretty hard via remote control.

Again, good luck!