Problem with Adobe Premiere cs5

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sstump, Jun 2, 2010.

1. sstump macrumors newbie

I have recently upgraded from cs4 to cs5. I was working on a video project using cs4 and everything was going great. When I upgraded to cs5 and opened the project the video looks horrible. It is a little blurry and very pixelated. It is not so bad when it is paused but still there. I even started a new project to see what happened and the same thing. I exported about a minute of footage and it looked a lot better but still not right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I just got my CS5 Production Premium box today, but I'm afraid to install it now, having read at least five horror stories about projects from previous versions getting jacked up. Having said that...

...Did you try changing the source / program monitor setting from "automatic" quality to "highest" quality? (Icon is on top-right, three little balls in a triangle - red, green and blue... at least that's how it is in CS3) It will definitely change the on-screen monitor look, depending on the video clips you have going. If the export looked better, I think it must be related to the display settings, not actual video quality, if you know what I mean.

The only other thing I can think of, is perhaps it's related to MPE (Mercury Playback Engine). Is the render bar yellow or red? Have you tried rendering the timeline to see if that helps? Do you have a CUDA-enabled video card in your system, or one that is on the basic compatibility list for CS5?

3. dannymarr macrumors member

Hey wonderspark. Did you install the CS5 suite? Is everything running ok for you? I'd like to update to CS5 soon as well.

What features do we loose because we don't use Nvidia cards? Is it worthwhile to get a Nvidoa GTX 285?

Hmm, actually I reminded myself about the features in Premiere CS5 and it sounds good. Here's a useful link if you plan to get a GTX 285.

Still would like to know how you CS4 projects turned out in CS5. Thanks!

4. ICutWithMacs macrumors member

why not final cut???

umm... you wouldn't have any problems installing if you got final cut! preimere is good, but in my opinion i think final cut is better. ;)

5. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I actually have NOT installed CS5 yet. I'm in CS3 (not CS4) and it's working really well, so I'm still doing a little more research before making the move. I'm kinda waiting for an upgrade that addresses a known issue that Adobe has "fixed, pending a future update" as documented in this thread:
    http://forums.adobe.com/thread/647006?tstart=90

I'm very tempted to get a 285 myself, but I also understand my 4870 will work fine with just the software MPE acceleration, as stated in this thread:
    http://forums.adobe.com/thread/659696?tstart=0

So, maybe the update after 5.0.1, and I'll install CS5.

6. dannymarr macrumors member

Thanks wonderspark for the info and links. It was a good read. I think I'll upgrade when my my current projects are finished.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

To me that's a wise move. Seems many people on this forum have experienced various difficulties with different aspects of the new package and for the life of me, I don't understand why creative individuals upgrade their software in mid-project. I can only assume they've not really thought it through:rolleyes:

8. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

For myself, the temptation to install CS5 comes from a real pain-in-the-a$$ special-effect that I have to create near the end of the film I'm editing. It would be so much easier in the latest version. I've thought about exporting everything done so far to P2 (mxf) files, then starting fresh with a new CS5 project, but I haven't weighed the hassle of that against the hassle of finishing in CS3. Just figuring that out is more hassle, so I think I'll finish the film in CS3.

9. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I'm not really sure what you think Final Cut offers over Premiere. They're very similar.

Plus having After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. at your disposal is a nice bonus.

10. dannymarr macrumors member

Agreed. PPRO & FCP are on par with each other on an interface and internal level now with 64-bit support for CS5. I use PS and AE often so it's a nice bonus. Though I do like Pro Res 422 (HQ). :)

Interested to find out your reasons to why FCP is better? For me it's a compatibility (PS & AE) and interface issue (grew up on Premiere 7.0, happy that PPRO is on par with FCP IMO).

11. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I've never had any real opportunity to try out Final Cut. I started with S-VHS A/B->Record deck cuts only, to Premiere 4.2, to Media100, to Avid Film Composer something-something, back to Premiere Pro and up to CS3. I have friends that use Final Cut, and they like it. I think it's all based on what you prefer, which is based on what you're exposed to.

By the way, Danny Marr, I've been planning to export my edited scenes in batches of P2 clips, and export sound in matching batches of wav files, so that when I delete CS3 and install CS5, I'll be starting a fresh project in CS5, and it will be simple to import the clips and drop them where they belong. I'll only have to sync seven audio tracks per clip, and I won't have to worry about the thousands of edits I made in CS3 getting jumbled up in a new CS5 project. I'll still be able to make new cuts, since I also have all the original P2 footage, so I think I'll be safe. Any thoughts on that?

12. dannymarr macrumors member

Sounds good. Go for it. You could even copy your entire CS3 project to a external drive in case something unforeseen happens, then you'll be able to reinstall CS3 and work wth your old project. Or just leave the CS3 files on your hard drive. :)

13. ICutWithMacs macrumors member

not trying to offend any preimere pro user. ive used both. fcp is much more stable imo. but all that counts is the final footage!;)

14. ICutWithMacs macrumors member

comparing premiere to final cut is like comparing mac vs pc.
    mac= fcs
    pc=premiere

15. GS17 macrumors member

GS17

Adobe change the frame blending default to off in CS5, try enable it in your clip in the timeline, just right click the clip in timeline and check frame blend and ser if that helps